Author Topic: Howdy!!  (Read 2351 times)

Sinorejas

Howdy!!
« on: February 24, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »
..............from Maryland's Eastern Shore!!!!  I'm already loving reading some of the original usernames on here (CurdIsTheWord!!)  Very creative!

We have a small herd of eight Dairy Goats - six LaManchas, two Experimentals (LaMancha/Alpine).  Started with two, as the daughter's 4H project...............and now have five does and three wethers.  Two of the does are in milk & have been since last spring.  We didn't breed anyone this fall - we're at full capacity here, and haven't the heart to send excess kids to market (get too attached too quickly).  So in order to still have milk, we're relying on our current milkers.  We plan on extending their lactation as long as they are willing!

Thus far, have made many, many batches of Chevre, seasoned with different combinations of herbs, etc., and a mild feta which everyone seems to like!!

Glad I found this forum.........looks like fun, and much to learn from!!

stuartjc

Re: Howdy!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
howdy back at you :)

Welcome.. you'll like it here!

Captain Caprine

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sinorejas.  I know what you mean about sending the little ones to market, it's tough.
CC

Tea

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »
Good morning Sinorejas and welcome to the forum.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:18:20 PM »
Hey Sinorejas
You better buy that goat in your avatar some ears!  ;D
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:49:05 PM »
Hello Sinorejas and welcome to the forum.

I looked in our list of Member's Location's Sticky Post and we already have Maryland State, USA listed so someone here is from there. There is also a Maryland Board in the Geographic > USA Boards in case or anyone has any local type posts.

Congrats on the Chevre, I've only tried to make it once but I couldn't get a good curd set as using store bought Ultra-Pasteurized Goat's Milk.

Sinorejas

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:44:59 AM »
Captain Caprine, how about we just borrow some from YOUR avatar goat?? - looks like she has some to share!!!  LOL  And besides, if our goats had ears, whatever would we do every year at the county 4H Fair?? - we so look forward every year to the numerous "ear questions" from fair visitors when they look at our LaManchas!!  How many goats do you have, and all Nubians, or other breeds as well!!

John (Cheesehead), I'm far from being an expert but the reading I've done suggests that the UP milk is probably the culprit.  There are no goat dairies close to you?? - no 4H kids with project goats??

Likesspace

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 02:28:04 AM »
Sinorejas,
Welcome to the forum!
You'll find that this is a great forum and a great group of people.
I think you'll like it here.

Dave

chilipepper

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 03:00:01 AM »
Welcome Sinorejas! Love to hear about your Chevre. 

Captain Caprine

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »
Good morning Sinorejas,
We have 9 Nubians and 3 Saanen X Toggenburg.   Currently we have two bread and 3 milking.   I know what you mean about the fair, I have two Scottish Highland cattle and every weekend cyclist go by and I hear, "Hey dude. Is that a f$@&ing yak?"

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
Welcome.