Author Topic: Monterey Jack and Pepper Jack  (Read 7614 times)

cowboycheese

Re: Monterey Jack and Pepper Jack
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »
I still have my first (whole NH) Jack in the cave so I don't know how it will taste yet. Due to try it around the end of December. This wheel was based on Karlin's non-washed recipe and the pressing schedule was roughly 1hr/5lbs, 6hrs/15lbs (with flipping about every 30 min - for the first 3 hrs). The knit wasn't as tight as I hoped for. My next test will include a higher weight press for the last 6+hrs to the ph marker. All this was for a 2lb wheel. Karlin doesn't tell what size of wheel is used in her recipes so I have had to guesstimate at times based on what I read in this amazing forum. A 2lb cheese is too flat at 8" dia and about right at 5". A smidgen of math and I'll have the psi I need for a larger batch. I also used standard liquid calf rennet and had no curd problems outside the too light pressing - IMHO.

Good luck on your next batches!

Spoons

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »
The knit wasn't as tight as I hoped for.

I'm making my first Jack cheese tomorrow. Most recipes I've seen say a medium press is required. I'll start light for the first hour and a half (bellow 1 PSI to slightly above 1 PSI), then I'll jump to around 2.5 PSI for like an hour and see if there's some sticking issues, then I'll finish with around 4 PSI until I reach 5.2 PH. Hopefully, 4 PSI will provide a good knit (ambient temp will be 24C - 75F).

I'll be using Dixon's recipe (I'd try Pav's recipe if he had one posted on his website... cough... hint... cough...)

I'm also a bit worried about adding peppers. I just don't know how much, what kind or what blend to add! I'm making a 8L batch, if anyone's got suggestions.

tnbquilt

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 02:16:19 AM »
I tried Karlin's recipe and it's not pressed hard enough. I threw mine away, after I aged it of course. It fell apart, and tasted sour. Sour, over acidified, too much moisture left in the curd, sounds familiar.

The one I've had the best results with was Ricki Carroll's, but it's not a washed curd and it was a little dry every time I made it. It was always good, but I wanted more moisture. So that's why I started with this one.

cowboycheese

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
tnbquilt:
I tried Karlin's recipe and it's not pressed hard enough. I threw mine away, ...

Ugh. Though I followed the pH markers, I'm just not confident in the results out of the press. I just got in the new 200 2nd/ed and I'm going to be trying that version next - though with a bit more aggressive final press if I don't get enough knit early on.

JimSteel

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
Wow, this reminds me of my June makes.  I tried a Monterey and Pepper Jack from 200 Easy and both turned out terribly.  My family wouldn't even lie about them to humour me; just said they were brutal.  Same thing, very dry, crumbly and acidic.  I've heard of a lot of people having issues with the 200 Easy recipe, but it seems the problems with this "simpler" cheese are more ubiquitous.  I don't have much insight to offer, just a shoulder to say 'I've been there. Exactly there."