Author Topic: Poor ExTech Customer Service  (Read 3096 times)

Smurfmacaw

Poor ExTech Customer Service
« on: May 20, 2013, 06:52:24 PM »
 I had heard ExTech had great customer service and stood behind their products.......I heard wrong.   I bought an ExTech PH 110 digital pH meter which was delivered this week.  First time I used it, calibration went as per the instruction manual.  It took a while to get readings and they were kind of erratic.  I figured it was just user error.

The next day it completely lost its mind and when I calibrated it decided the pH of the neutral reference solution (pH 7.0) was 3.5.   Also the renew error was flashing indicating the electrode needed to be replaced.  Figuring that the electrode was good for more than one day   ??? I went through the reset proceedure (remove battery and hold on off button for 10 seconds).  When I powered it back up it read -1 (an indication the manual says is not a good thing) and wouldn't calibrate or measure pH at all.  Ok, either a bad meter or more likely a bad electrode.  I get it, things happen.  Now for the real disappointment......

Called ExTech customer service.  Their take on it is that until I've owned it for 30 days it's not their problem.  Send the whole thing back to where I bought it.  Their suggestion was that I buy another one and then after 30 days send the defective one back to them.....riiiight  ::)

Needless to say, I'll be sending it back to the seller and trying some other brand, any other brand. 

Not the customer service I expected.  That's the way you lose a customer guys.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Poor ExTech Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Your take on those guys is inaccurate. Their service has been impeccable with me and everyone else that I know. You must have caught someone in a really bad frame of mind. Don't talk to customer service, talk to the tech department. I assure you, if there's a problem they'll stand behind their product.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:23:25 PM »
Ok, I misspoke somewhat.  Customer service transferred me to the tech department so basically it was the tech department that I dealt with.  I'm going to send it back to the original place I bought it.  If they will issue a refund that will be good or a replacement would be fine as long as it works.......I figured it would be quicker and easier to work with the company direct but they were adamant that they would not help me for at least 30 days.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
I'm really getting frustrated with ExTech.  Just got my second pH meter to replace the one that wouldn't work.  The new one doesn't work at all either.  I soaked the electrode in 4.01 solution prior to calibration.  Cleaned the tip.  Calibrated in 7.0.  Meter only sees pH 7.0.  I ensured it is not in hold mode or recall mode.  Thermometer works fine.  Tried rebooting it.  (removed batteries, held on/off button for 15 seconds)  Same story.  It doesn't measure pH at all.  Tried it in distilled white vinegar, indicates the pH is 7.0.

I'm going to return it an get another one more time and give them one last shot.  Could there be a shelf life problem with the electrodes?  This one was the Exstick pH 100 so I am positive it can't be a lack of KCl in the electrode.

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
Sounds like incredibly bad luck...I have had no issues with my 110. It seemed a bit flaky at first but has settled down to be a really nice and seemingly accurate addition to my cheese hobby.

bbrown131211

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
I finally gave up on my ExTech -- never seemed to work right even when I repeatedly calibrated it. Got a much less expensive Hanna pH meter. So far (two cheese makes) it worked really well.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 02:04:46 AM »
I'm going to return it an get another one more time and give them one last shot.
I called about a meter that refused to calibrate at 4.01. Without any further discussion, another electrode was sent out immediately. Their service has been impeccable for me. No cost to me and I didn't have to return the original.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 04:19:18 AM »
Thats why I was so frustrated (besides having two in a row that don't work).  I talked to the tech support guys and they basically said until I own it for 30 days they will take no action, i have to return it to the place I bought it from.  They didn't really impress me though, they just called up the instructions and tried to get me to go through the troubleshooting instructions in them.....I know because the guy said, "wait a minute until I download the instructions so I know what to do" (seriously).  Hopefully this one will work.  Luckily Amazon is pretty easy to deal with but I wonder if there is a shelf life issue that needs to be addressed.  I guess the other way would be to go to  a local distributor but they charge $140 for the ph100. (oh yeah, plus tax so about $150.)  If this one is a pos too then I'm going to spend the money for the Hanna dairy pH meter. $400 but maybe it'll work.  The thing that is attractive about the extech is that with the flat electrode you can measure during the press without poking a hole in the cheese.

Open to other suggestions on meter types, not afraid to spend a couple of bucks.

Mike