Author Topic: Third Stilton  (Read 10195 times)

shotski

Re: Third Stilton
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 02:20:49 AM »
I pierced my blues tonight

beechercreature

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
they're lookin fantastic!

shotski

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
they smell as nasty as they look  :P

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
Shouldn't really smell bad.  That blue on the sides looks a lot like a mildew mold.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

shotski

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
Shouldn't really smell bad.  That blue on the sides looks a lot like a mildew mold.

I'm not sure, it looks like the last stilton I did. How can I tell the difference and if it is should I wash it with brine. I meant nasty as in a good nasty just like previous blues.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 01:57:06 AM »
That may just be incorrect colour balance from the light source used Al.
From experience if I don't use a white reference sheet my shots come out looking strange because of the differences in incandescent, fluoro and led lighting.
(Even some of my led lights have different colour temperatures)
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
Absolutely could be the lighting.  Just taste a bit. I found that the blue mildew mold is "furrier" and a bit grayer.  The molds that grew on my stilton weren't really "fluffy or furry" if that makes sense.

shotski

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »
Absolutely could be the lighting.  Just taste a bit. I found that the blue mildew mold is "furrier" and a bit grayer.  The molds that grew on my Stilton weren't really "fluffy or furry" if that makes sense.

Thanks for your input Al it is much appreciated. I know my humidity is on the high side and may be that is contributing to the blue growth. Your blue rind does look a lot cleaner. Did you brine it or salt it?

I left them out for about 4 hours to dry up a bit.

I used PRB6 PR milled the curd and added salt.  I smell them everyday (just love the smell) while turning them. I did taste the creamy buildup on the squire after piercing them and they have a young blue flavour. All in all they taste and smell just like my last two blues at this point.

I am assuming that mildew would alter the aroma, flavour or both? 

John

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
I salted my curds.  I still had some very small openings after smoothing but they didn't bother it.  I use to put it on top of the cave to dry for about an hour a day.  Always sure to cover it with something to keep any errant flies off.  Seems they love cheese too!  They also love to lay their eggs in it. :(

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
Absolutely could be the lighting.  Just taste a bit. I found that the blue mildew mold is "furrier" and a bit grayer.  The molds that grew on my Stilton weren't really "fluffy or furry" if that makes sense.

Thanks for your input Al it is much appreciated. I know my humidity is on the high side and may be that is contributing to the blue growth. Your blue rind does look a lot cleaner. Did you brine it or salt it?

I left them out for about 4 hours to dry up a bit.

I used PRB6 PR milled the curd and added salt.  I smell them everyday (just love the smell) while turning them. I did taste the creamy buildup on the squire after piercing them and they have a young blue flavour. All in all they taste and smell just like my last two blues at this point.

I am assuming that mildew would alter the aroma, flavour or both? 

John
Not only the flavours John.
They could introduce toxins and the ones you really don't want are the pink or black ones.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

shotski

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 08:22:10 PM »
Thanks for the information Al and Schnecken Slayer. I have learned something about molds here and at this point there is no pink or black molds ( thank God ). I have the cheese out again today drying out the rind and the growth is receding  nicely.

as everyone knows 3 cheeses does a expert not make  :D

Thanks again

John

shotski

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »
Well after a 5 weeks of watching closely and air drying regularly. Here is a update at 2 months.

jwalker

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 11:38:35 PM »
They look good , I would eat those now.

Blues don't take long to reach perfection.

All of mine are usually 4 - 6 weeks.

good make !

shotski

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
HI Jim, I was thinking of opening one. The last blue we did at 5-6 weeks and I found needed more ageing for the blue development.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
Break out the cheese iron and take a core sample.  You never know, they may be at the height of perfection already and if not you can just reseal it.  Cool rinds by the way, my stilton just decided to turn a golden yellow and never got the really insane rind like yours has.