Author Topic: Tứrớ - Hungarian Farmer's cheese  (Read 2470 times)

MrsKK

Tứrớ - Hungarian Farmer's cheese
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
This recipe came from the Backwoods Home magazine, but I converted it a bit for use with raw milk.  It turns out a very good low fat cream cheese.  I added the alternatives for pasteurized/homogenized milk at the end, for those of you without your own cow.

In a heat-proof container, blend one gallon of raw whole milk with one cup of cultured buttermilk from the store.  Keep in a warm place - about 80 degrees F is good - until as thick as yogurt.  Mine turned within about 8-10 hours.  Place in an oven at 150 to 200 degrees F and keep there for at least 6 hours, until the curd has firmed up and the whey is separating.  Using a big ladle, scoop the curd into a cloth-lined colander, without breaking up the curd.  Tie the cloth and hang from a handle over a kettle to drain overnight.

I use my big roaster to make this, as the temps on it are easily set anywhere from zero to 400 degrees.  I put the milk and buttermilk in the pan and set the temp at 80 because it is still kind of cool here.  Then I turn it up to about 150 when it is time to cook the curd.  So simple and it uses up a lot of milk without very much work at all.

If using pasteurized/homogenized milk, use a quart of buttermilk to a gallon of milk.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Tứrớ - Hungarian Farmer's cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:09:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing that.  Can you show a photo of the roaster you are using?  If it's really as easy as that to control temps it sounds like a good option......   :D

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
What is the final cheese like? Anything to compare it with appearance and taste-wise?

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »
Tia - here's a link to a similar model:  http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Food-Warmer---18-Quart-Roaster-Oven-c110p7782.html?cid=WSPLGOCKE815-044pla&CAWELAID=1213858517&catargetid=1824131766&gclid=CIzvoJHOk7cCFUPc4AodAxQAZA

BB - It is very much like low fat cream cheese/American Neufchatel.  The one time I didn't drain it as long and it was very much like cream cheese, the second time I drained it until a bit dryer.  When room temp, it is cream cheese consistency, but when refrigerated it is more crumbly.  Much easier to make than any cream cheese recipe I've done, though.