Author Topic: Chilipepper's Cheese #017 - Manchego  (Read 2949 times)

chilipepper

Chilipepper's Cheese #017 - Manchego
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:24:10 AM »
2/15/09 - Manchego made pretty much like the recipe John posted here: Manchego Recipe

Used 3 gallons whole past. store bought milk.  Cultures used were MM100 and TA61 (1/2 tsp each) and ripened for 45 minutes. Lipase M3 (1/4 tsp) and CaCL2 (1/2 tsp) were added just prior to 3/4 tsp liquid veggie rennet.    Attained a really nice set after 45 minutes. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes and rested for 5 minutes before cutting to rice size with whisk.

Heated slowly to 104 degrees over 90 minutes (not sure why so long that is just what it took - water bath temps were too low obviously).  Rested at 104 for 5 minutes before draining and pressing.

Pressing was done in 4 inch mold.  Pressed 3 times at 15 minute intervals and 15 lbs. Lastly at 30 lbs for 10 hours (overnight).  I removed the pressure and realized my brine was not good so I kept the cheese in the mold with no pressure and made up a new brine.  Once cool (6 hours later), I brined for 6 hours in cool saturated brine and now is air drying.

Whisk cut curd

Curd draining briefly before pressing

In press

Out of press before brine

Out of brine and drying

Mary Ruth

Re: Chilipepper's Cheese #017 - Manchego
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:56:17 PM »
One day I'll get there... :D and with this forum with its wealth of info...how could i go wrong :D