Author Topic: My first Jarlsberg!  (Read 1895 times)

DrChile

My first Jarlsberg!
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »
After introducing myself some time ago and quietly stalking the boards, I've made some cheese.
First Jarlsberg - pretty decent flavor and texture IMO.   Not as many eyes as I had thought it would have, but I'm satisfied.
Most happy about the texture - creamy.  I've had difficulty getting a creamy mouth feel on some of my other cheeses (young goudas and Jacks), but not with this one.  Next step is getting (building?) a dutch style press (my current press is a Goldberg contraption of bricks and tie downs with a can of green beans - not pretty) and maybe getting into some blues.

DrChile

BobE102330

Re: My first Jarlsberg!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
Congrats - you beat my first Jarlsberg eye count.  A cheese for your success.  From other threads, I have picked up that most of the recipes seem to advocate a warm phase that isn't warm enough.  Try around 70F for the warm phase if you didn't on this make. 

Are you a chili head, too as your forum name implies?

DrChile

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
Thanks!
This time I got a little worried when the temps hit 76 or above, so maybe I will just let it ride next time.

I am a Chile head.  Just planted me a Carolina Reaper... we'll see how it goes  >:D

DrChile

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:31:07 PM »
Good luck with the next cheese.  I goofed and had whole milk ready to go, so I made a Gryuere yesterday.  Next make will be another Jarlsberg.

I had a bumper crop of bhut jalokia, Fatali Scotch Bonnet and other "lesser" peppers last year.  After giving away as much as I could I still have a couple cubic feet of dried peppers.  Maybe I will grow again next year.  My son brewed up a batch of Bhut/Fatali hot sauce last summer, wisely opening all the windows.  As I stepped out of the air conditioned car I felt my lungs tighten up.  I went inside to find him in the kitchen wearing a respirator and goggles. I had to close the back windows so I could sit on the patio until he was done.  He cooked out a lot of the heat, and it was rather tasty.  Comparing it to commercial sauces it was in the 3-400.000 Scoville range. 

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »
That looks great , a cheese to you !

How long was it aged , I've had no luck getting the big eyes in my Swiss cheeses.

I know what you guys mean about the peppers , was doing some pickling a while back , decided to make some hot brine , so I added a liberal splash of Tabasco to the brine while boiling , had to get out of the house for a bit , wife wasn't impressed !

Next time , I will do it in the outdoor kitchen.

Cheers Jim.

DrChile

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »
Thanks!
It was aged 10 days at 54 F after pressing (I waxed it after pressing, not realizing that the wax would burst during the room temp phase).
Then 4 weeks at room temp (range was 68-77)
Then waxed and then aged again for 3 weeks at 54 F.

DrChile