Author Topic: Increasing make size  (Read 1482 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Increasing make size
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
I got a new form big enough to hold a make from 4 gallons rather than my normal 2 gallons! Unfortunately I have to put the milk for a gouda make in 2 pots because the pot I thought big enough is not....
At any rate, my question is regarding brining...  The form is almost 8 inches across. I imagine the cheese will turn out about 3 inches high. Is there a formula for time in the brine? Previously for my 2 # make I just did 6 hours....
Susan

shotski

Re: Increasing make size
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »

You may want to check out this link as Jeff has posted a great rule of thumb to  brine your cheeses.

John

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11122.0.html

Re: My first Edam

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:10 PM »

Yes.  Weigh the cheese in lbs, measure it's height in inches, and multiply the two together  Brine for that many hours in a saturated brine solution.  For less than saturated (around 26.5% salt), you scale by 26.5/X where X is your percentage of salt.

To calculate your salt percentage, it's weight of salt/weight of solution.  So, if you add 18g of salt to 100g of water, then you have 18/118 = 15.25% solution, and  1 part salt to 5 parts water (in weight) means 1/6, or 16.67% solution. 

As an aside, I find the easiest way to make a 3% solution for washing, is to just weigh out 97g of water then add enough salt to increase the weight to 100g.  That will last for awhile if you just washing a cheese or two.

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:47:02 AM »
I got a new form big enough to hold a make from 4 gallons rather than my normal 2 gallons! Unfortunately I have to put the milk for a gouda make in 2 pots because the pot I thought big enough is not....
At any rate, my question is regarding brining...  The form is almost 8 inches across. I imagine the cheese will turn out about 3 inches high. Is there a formula for time in the brine? Previously for my 2 # make I just did 6 hours....

I just follow the recipe guidelines which are usually something like 3-4hours per pound of cheese.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »
I just follow the recipe guidelines which are usually something like 3-4hours per pound of cheese.

But I think the limiting factor really is the thickness of the cheese - for example, a wheel of cheese that is say 8inches by 2 inches would brine (i.e. the salt would penetrate) faster than a cheese of the same weight which is more compact. General guidelines probably suppose something like a 2:1 form factor?