Author Topic: Farmhouse Chive Cheddar, 2nd attempt  (Read 1515 times)

orion113

Farmhouse Chive Cheddar, 2nd attempt
« on: May 26, 2013, 11:22:57 PM »
I had tried this once and used too large a mold, went down to a 5.75 inch mold this time.  I stuck to the book's recipe this time, even managed to match the heating times very close.  In spite of that, it did not seem like the curd wanted to "cling together when squeezed" very well?  I was almost spot on with time and temperatures quoted, not sure why it never really seemed to "mat up".  I'm new to the game so maybe I am over thinking it?  Seems to be pressing ok, prior to the final press the knit was looking good to me.  Oh, while I am thinking about it, what is meant by pressing "overnight", as far as how many hours?  I got an early start on this one and started final press at 1300 hrs., probably wont leave it all night.  Probably subjective eh, as in press until it looks good?  Maybe a PH meter is in order?  Here's a couple pics of the make, I will get some after pressing and post to this.  Thanks for looking all.

Farmhouse Chive Cheddar      05-26-13
Artisan Cheese making at Home      Floc factor 3X
5.75 inch mold             Following books recipe
½ tsp mesophillic (2 pacs of N.E.C. starter ¼ ea.)
¼ tsp annatto, diluted in ¼ cup water
Scant ½ tsp CaCl, diluted
1.5 ml liquid rennet (less than the books recommended ½ tsp)
2 tsp (heaped) freeze dried chives
2 tsp salt
1)   Heated milk to 86 degrees
2)   Added cultures, let sit 5 mins, stirred for 1 min., then ripened for 1 hour
3)   Added annatto, CaCl, and rennet, in that order, stirred each in for 1 min. prior to the next addition.
4)   Floc time was 12 min. 12 X 3 = 36 min total rennet time
5)   Cut to ½ inch pieces, then allowed to sit still for 5 minutes
6)   Stirred gently and raised temp to 102 degrees over 40 minutes, ACTUAL time was 45
7)   Maintained temp and stirred for 20 min.
8)   Allowed to rest still for 30 minutes
9)   Removed enough whey to expose the curds, then stirred constantly for 20 minutes.  Suppose to be matting but they weren’t really.  Pretty firm, just didn’t want to squish together into a mass?
10)   Drained in cloth lined colander for 5 mins, moved to large bowl and added the chives and salt, mixed very well before molding
11)   Spooned curd into 5.75 in. mold and pressed per the below
15 mins @ 10 pounds = 0.42 psi  (should have been 20#)
30 mins @ 40 pounds = 1.68 psi
90 mins @ 75 pounds = 3.16 psi
Overnight @ 90 pounds = 3.79 psi
Back to not knowing just how long “overnight” is.  Into last press at 1300 hours so probably will not leave it until tomorrow morning total time.

tnbquilt

Re: Farmhouse Chive Cheddar, 2nd attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »
I'd take over night to be 10 to 12 hours. I have that book, and I have not made that recipe. The two recipes that I did make out of it did not press hard enough to form a knitted curd. I made the Just Jack and the Ale Washed Trappist cheese. One of them said to press with 1 lb, and I should have known better. The Just Jack looked like it knitted, but then when I went to cut into it, it broke in half, and you could see all the little pieces of curd on the inside had never been pressed.

The ones in your recipe look normal for a cheddar cheese. I do a 40lbs for 15 minutes, a 50 lbs for 1 hour, and then 100 lbs for 12 hours, and I am using a 6" mold and yours says 5-3/4" so that's the same if you ask me.

Good luck with your cheese, I hope it comes out well. A stirred curd cheddar is not usually hard to get to knit. I hope it tastes good with the chives added to it.

orion113

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »
Here is a picture after brining and drying a bit.  I wound up pressing for 8.5 hours, then naked for 20 minutes at 60 pounds to remove some wrinkles, brined for just 4 hours as it is pretty thin.  Final weight is at 1 pound 12.6 ounces now, maybe a little light for 2 gallon batch?  Admittedly pretty proud of myself, looks just like the picture in the book.  Now have to wait and see....

KTownCheese

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »
Good job! its looking awesome!