Author Topic: my new Tomme  (Read 5069 times)

soleuy

my new Tomme
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:09:53 PM »
Here I am back, I've been busy with other things for many months but even though I haven't entered the forum I begun cheesemaking in May after more than half a year. I've done several Petite Suisse, Taleggio, Mozzarella, and cheeses that need to be ripen as Tomme, Parmeggiano, Montasio and a Cheddar. I recently took the Tomme forms out of the cellar and I wanted to show them.
I used Peter Dixon recipe for a natural rind, not washing them; I used raw milk and mesophilic starter (L lactis lactis and cremoris). I aged them for three months at 10- 13 ° C at a cellar, a very basic one with soil floor that it's humid and it floods when it rains.  I had to rescue the cheeses two times during the winter because the water was more than 2 meters high but I have taken the cheeses before the water reaches the shelves. Surely, there are many spores that contribute to the form the rind, so it is not a controlled proceeds but the cheeses were very taste and creamy.
The only problem it's that the cheeses slump , They were  taller when I took them from the mold, , The procedure of  cooking the curd only to 100 °C  and draining in the mold with very lithe weight on them doesn't allow much whey to drain, so the forms aren't very firm.
Another problem are the flies, the little one those of the fruits ( drosophila). They do not attack the hard cheeses but they like the Tomme a lot. I had to cut the parts where they put their eggs because there were larvae!!!!. I made a protection with mosquitoes clothes for the next time, but this will be during next autumn, the temperature is going up (I am in Uruguay) and I will begin doing   to hard cheeses.

Excuses for my English!!!!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: my new Tomme
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
Thank you for writing about your cheese adventures!  It's always fun to read what other people are doing.  I do not have a lot of experience so I am not very much help but I can talk a little bit about the slumping because I had this happen to a couple of cheeses and people wrote some answers to my questions.  People say that if you cut the curds a little bit late that the curds do not release the whey very well because they have bonded the moisture within themselves.  I am forgetting how to say it with the correct cheese terms but if you do a search on this forum maybe you'll find it.  I tried searching with no luck.  I'm not sure why the search feature on this forum is so poor.  I think I created a thread about a tomme that slumped, I know I coated it with cocoa and coconut oil but I cannot find that thread by searching no matter how many times I try combinations of words.  Here are a few threads that do have some slumped cheese advice.  Good luck!

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11441.msg88443.html#msg88443
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9963.msg73368.html#msg73368

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »
I think I created a thread about a tomme that slumped, I know I coated it with cocoa and coconut oil but I cannot find that thread by searching no matter how many times I try combinations of words.  Here are a few threads that do have some slumped cheese advice.  Good luck!

Yeah, the search function is not the best here, but the good thing is even the results you get by accident are interesting reading!
Is this the one you were thinking of?

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11202.msg85984.html#msg85984

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »
I think I created a thread about a tomme that slumped, I know I coated it with cocoa and coconut oil but I cannot find that thread by searching no matter how many times I try combinations of words.  Here are a few threads that do have some slumped cheese advice.  Good luck!

Yeah, the search function is not the best here, but the good thing is even the results you get by accident are interesting reading!
Is this the one you were thinking of?

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11202.msg85984.html#msg85984

That was SO totally it!  Thank you.  The post by Woven Meadows on that one has a lot of really good educational info in it, all put together.  Everyone else was super helpful as well.  There you go!  Pssst!  Hey, how did you find it?   ???

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »

That was SO totally it!  Thank you.  The post by Woven Meadows on that one has a lot of really good educational info in it, all put together.  Everyone else was super helpful as well.  There you go!  Pssst!  Hey, how did you find it?   ???

I found it by being an insatiable geek  ;)

Actually I am a voracious reader and remembered a thread started by Red Mountain that I stumbled upon last week, where you referenced the thread you were looking for. Embarrassing for me, no?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 05:05:52 PM »

I found it by being an insatiable geek  ;)

Actually I am a voracious reader and remembered a thread started by Red Mountain that I stumbled upon last week, where you referenced the thread you were looking for. Embarrassing for me, no?

Well I don't know, Mr. Fancy Pants!   ;D  ARE you embarrassed, no?   ^-^  Sometimes using Google works for me to find stuff on the forum but sometimes not.  And then again, sometimes my brain is working and sometimes not!  no?  yes? 

Geodyne

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
Hello Soleuy! Slump or not, that's a good looking cheese. It looks surprisingly creamy to me for a 3-month-aged cheese.

I'm intrigued by your description of your cave. How deep is it, and will you share photos?

As an aside, I love your country. I've spent some small time there on leave after work and very much want to spend more time there one day soon.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 02:29:47 AM »
Yes, I too spent some time there a few months ago. I was surprised at how cold it was in the areas we visited, even though the terrain looks like a jungle. (we were in the Foz Iguazu area and also in the south where you live) And I remember thinking how I would need to make my own cheese if I did live there, with the cool weather, plus cattle and sheep ranches everywhere. A beautiful part of the world to live! Do you speak Portuguese and/or Spanish?

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:36 PM »
They were  taller when I took them from the mold
You can use a tree bark (Yoav sell these) to wrap as a skirt around your cheese to support it.

Also the PC you got going there does some major protolysis and softens the paste making it less stractured. (but who cares, it looks really creamy and aromatic)

soleuy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:29:52 PM »
Thanks for all,  I'll take your advices into account!!! I´m happy with the cheese as it is really creamy.
I´m living in Uruguay since 2002 but I am argentine.  I´ve never been in Foz Iguazu in Brasil , neither in the the argentine province of Misiones which is nearby. I´d like to visit this region with its tropical rain forest and the marvelous Cataratas del Iguazu. I speak Spanish, none a word of Portuguese, some Italian (I have lived there almost two years) and I struggle with the English. Where I live is a undulating plain (I don’t know if this is the correct way to refer to it). It´s an agricultural zone with most of the farm doing dairy, mostly milk production and cheeses in some.
Her is my cellar as you see it is very very basic, it’s surely 100 years old, quiet big perhaps 8 m x 6 m .Some time ago there was a dairy here. The temperature is mostly between 10 ° C   and 18 ° C and the hygrometer says 90 % but it is not a very good one. The cellar is under the shed you can see at one of the photo

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:20:20 AM »
Parece que su ingles es mejor que mi español, pero quiero tratar te contestar asi!

Fuimos a visitar argentina, uruguay, colombia, ecuador, y brasil este año, pero no pude encontrar buenos quesos por nada! (no me interesas los frescos)

Que lindo su rancho! Tienen vacas alli? Mira este foto de mi esposa y yo en Misiones, argentina

soleuy

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »
Felicitaciones por  tu español!!!
Como te decía no he estado en Iguazu pero no hay dudas, es Argentina!!!! (Celeste y blanco son los colores de nuestra bandera)
Tienes razón en la Argentina y aún más  en Uruguay no hay gran variedad de quesos duros,   entre ellos los más consumidos en Argentina  son el Reggianito y el Sardo.
Te dejo un link (en español) sobre los quesos argentinos http://www.quesosargentinos.gov.ar/paginas/quesos.asp

No tenemos vacas sino novillos, hacemos engorde para frigorífico.

Congratulations on your Spanish!
As I told you I have not been in Iguazu but there are no room for doubts, is Argentina! ! (light blue and white are de  the colors of our flag)
You are right in Argentina and even more Uruguay there is not a  great variety of hard cheeses, among them the most consumed in Argentina are the Reggianito and Sardo.
I leave a link (in Spanish) about argentine cheeses http://www.quesosargentinos.gov.ar/paginas/quesos.asp

We have not cows but steers and we grow them for meat.

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »
Wow that is some old school-old world basment you got there.  perfect to age wine!

soleuy

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Good idea for the future!!! I´ve never think on that. But at the present doing cheeses once a week is enough for me!!