Author Topic: First attempt at Caerphilly !  (Read 1503 times)

jwalker

First attempt at Caerphilly !
« on: May 27, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »
I just got 5 gallons of fresh cows milk yesterday and plan to make my first caerphilly , I don't have any flora danica , just meso 101 , is that good enough or should I make something else and wait till i get some flora danica to make it ?

I see some people make it with and some make it without , does it make a huge difference ?

I want to do a 5 gal batch , so don't want to screw it up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers , Jim.

BobE102330

Re: First attempt at Caerphilly !
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »
If you have buttermilk that culture is likely FD or close. Either way go for it. With such a large make chances are you'll be aging some of it longer than 3-4 weeks. See how the flavor develops.

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »
Thanks Bob , so how would I go about using buttermilk , and how much would I need for 5 gallons ?

I'm searching the forum right now , but any advice is certainly appreciated.

I may be rained out at work , so I may be doing this today.

Cheers , Jim.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »
Hey Jim
My first 2 Caerphilly were made with MM100-101 only, I added FD to the third one after adding it to a Stilton,
I liked the flavor change in that make so I decided to add it to my Caerphilly,
alas, it is still ageing and cannot report if I will have the same flavor enhancement as the Stilton.
 The wife and I loved the Caerphilly without the FD and If I am out of FD and needed to make some Caerphilly I would not hesitate ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
Hi Jim,

I use buttermilk quite a bit.  I leave it out at room temp for 8 hours or overnight, then pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it.  It will be thick like yorgurt.  When I make a 10-11 litre batch of cheese, I usually use 2 or 3 ice cubes of it (add them usually when I start to warm up the milk and they melt as it goes).  However, go with the culture you have.  If you've got some buttermilk, but not thickened, just add 50 mls or so along with the culture you have to mix a few extras in there, then ripen the rest and make starter cubes from it.  (Just make sure you sterilize your ice cube trays! Oh yah, and store they cubes in freezer bags after they are solid, not open in in the trays).

- Jeff

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies and all the advice everyone.

I will add some buttermilk as Jeff has suggested and ripen and freeze the rest of it so as to have it on hand for the next time.

I will report back with the outcome and some photos.

It is raining this morning , so hopefully will have the day off to do this , or maybe just take the day off anyway , that's one of the benefits of being self-employed. >:D

Thanks again all , Cheers , Jim.

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »
Just so you know, ,most buttermilk is made from cultures of the same name as Flora Danica, but the strains and proportions will be different.  So, buttermilk and FD are different, but close. 

- Jeff