Author Topic: PH Markers and Cheese making  (Read 3738 times)

bgreen

PH Markers and Cheese making
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:33:51 AM »
Hi all

As a newbie and soon to be owner of a PH meter i was wondering if PH markers in one variety of cheese are relatively standard ... for example if i was wanting to make Gouda... would the PH readings be the same or similar at the same stages of the cheese making process or do these vary widely in relation to different recipes.

And question 2..... Is there one recommended thread on here that lists different recipes with PH readings?

Thanks for your help
Regards Bruce

tnbquilt

Re: PH Markers and Cheese making
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:51:03 AM »
Ph markers are funny. I have a book by Gianaclis Caldwell that gives some PH markers, but some of it is personal preference. You can usually do a search for something like cheddar ph markers and come up with something on here, but as far as a composite list there is not one.

If you ask about a specific cheese people will tell you what they use, or I will tell you what my book says anyway.

bgreen

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 03:42:11 AM »
Ph markers are funny. I have a book by Gianaclis Caldwell that gives some PH markers, but some of it is personal preference. You can usually do a search for something like cheddar ph markers and come up with something on here, but as far as a composite list there is not one.

If you ask about a specific cheese people will tell you what they use, or I will tell you what my book says anyway.

Hi Tammy

Thanks for the quick reply if i could get the recommended guidelines off you that would be great... first one i intend trying is Camembert, then closely followed by Feta and Gouda.  I am still trying to work out the recommended steps where PH readings are taken....  are you able to advise what parts of the cheese making process are most impt to record PH levels.

Thanks very much for your help
Regards Bruce

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:30:30 AM »
I am still trying to work out the recommended steps where PH readings are taken.... 

general guidelines:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2826.msg24091.html#msg24091

Camembert,

Which style? You have to marry pH with the recipe and style.

Feta and Gouda

Have posted these before, and we have make examples here of both of these with markets.

bgreen

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 06:34:08 AM »
Hi Linuxboy

Thanks for your comments... and thats a great link.. will try that recipe when the meter arrives.

Thanks again.. cheers bruce