Author Topic: Recipe for Saint Albray?  (Read 6340 times)

hoeklijn

Recipe for Saint Albray?
« on: July 05, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »
Saint Albray is a soft washed rind cheese from which the rind also contains PC and it's made from raw cow milk and is shaped like a flower.
That I could find on the internet....
Does anybody have a recipe for this one?

linuxboy

Re: Recipe for Saint Albray?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »
This just looks like a double creme camembert painted with annatto.

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »
Nope. It seems that the mix between PC and a BL washed rind makes this one special. What about a Port Salut recipe with a pinch of PC, wait until the rind is white and then start washing with a mix of white wine, salt and BL?

Spellogue

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:00:07 PM »
You could probably go with either a basic port salut or camembert recipe as the base depending on whether you want to wash the curd or not, and how much moisture you would hope to retain.  Vat innoculation with both PC and a B.L. strain.  If you go with the port salut make, you could probably start washing the rind promptly and then spray on some PC brine with an atomizer once it starts to color up. 

I'll be watching this thread with interest because I've been curious about a PC/BL combination. Usually it is geo rather than PC you find in conjunction with BL.  I was considering incorporating all three into a make since many BL treatments include geo already, as in ARN or PLA.   

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:02:25 PM »
Here's what I found on the internet.   
Saint Albray is a cheese which comes from the Aquitaine region of France.
Invented in 1976, the cheese is similar to Camembert cheese, it has the same attributes, but is not quite as strong. Made with pasteurized cow's milk, this popular cheese is ripened for 2 weeks and formed into a shape like the head of a flower with each "petal" forming a half pound of cheese. The "petals" are formed around a disk, when removed, it creates a hollow center giving the impression of the center of the flower. The cheese is also available in a 'petit' version, weighing 200g[1] (or 500g in England and Germany[2]) with a solid center.
  From the images I saw I'd have to say the yellowing on the exterior is caused by a small amount of geo.  I get the same on my Bries.

Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
Interesting thing is that some sites (e.g the Dutch Wikipedia) say it's made from pasteurized milk and some other (e.g. a Dutch importing company) mention it's made from raw milk...

Spellogue

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:07:37 PM »
Hi Herman,

Perhaps you've already looked at Boofer's Pont l'Eveque threads http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11474.0.html.  Pont l'Eveque seems to have a lot in common with Saint Albray. 

Have you thought about form factor in a substitute shape?  I like that the photos above suggest a nice hunky block with a bit lower rind to paste ratio.  Replicating that flower shape looks like it would entail a major shop project to craft a mold.

I hope we will hear more about your research and experiments with this style.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »
That's an easy one.  Make a brie (high fat).  Include PC (at maximum dosage levels), BL and ARN.  After Day 2 dehoop brine in saturated solution containing ARN and BL.  Make up a 3% brine solution with ARN, and BL.  Dip the cheese for three days. Mature like a brie.  The yeasts will grow under the white mould.  There will be patches where the yeast shows through but much of the yeast showing in the photos you see on line is actually from where the white mould has been rubbed off during packaging and handling.

Spellogue

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:32:32 AM »
That's an easy one.  Make a brie (high fat).  Include PC (at maximum dosage levels), BL and ARN.  After Day 2 dehoop brine in saturated solution containing ARN and BL.  Make up a 3% brine solution with ARN, and BL.  Dip the cheese for three days. Mature like a brie.  The yeasts will grow under the white mould.

Now that's what I'm talking about!  Right on Francois!  I'm busting to try this, just too many bloomies coming up right now.  Have to wait at least a week yet.  I'll plan to make them a bit smaller though, Camembert molds I suppose.  petite goats, petitei cheeses.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 03:04:52 AM »
In a small format, or with goats milk, substitute PLA for ARN.  It won't be so in your face.

Spellogue

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 05:50:33 AM »
Thanks for that tip Francois.  It will be the perfect occasion for me to open the packet of PLA I got from Yoav.  I haven't worked with it yet. Up to now ARN has been my only b.l. source. 

This will most likely be my next make.  My daughter has dibs on the next milking for some goat milk fudge, but a St. Albray-esque cheese is in my near future.

I hope you'll make something similar too, Herman.  I'm very interested in seeing your rendition.  Kind of like a knit along.

hoeklijn

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 05:48:02 AM »
Thanks for the aswers guys and sorry for the late response....