Author Topic: Renegade Blue. Any suggestions welcome!  (Read 9313 times)

meyerandray

Re: Renegade Blue. Any suggestions welcome!
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
a traditional "toma blue" in my region has a funky rind, as you had thought kathrin.  I have been advised by local cheesemakers that once you think you have a pretty good blue growth inside the cheese, they lower the humidity, to around 60/65% and brush lightly if/when molds get out of control, otherwise they just let it go natural. 
I brushed mine because I had what I judged to be mold getting a little out of control, but sort of regret that now.  Good luck and let us know what you decide to do and keep us posted on how it turns out.
I am attaching a picture of what I dream to make successfully someday, this is a traditional toma blu from Moncenisio (Mont Cenis in french, it is on the border btwn france and italy)

hoeklijn

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
Can you tell me why cleaning the rind is a good idea?  For some reason I thought the rind should just stay blue and weird.  Or maybe leaving the rind only works on softer blue cheeses?

Still reading here but not posting much due to a lack of time...

I'm a bit suspicious about the mold I see, are you sure it's PC? That's the reason that I suggested to clean it.
I gave my Bleu d' Armand a regular cleaning (The "Boofer way", read his posts about his Bleu d' Ambert) and it turned out very well.
Normally the rind of a Stiltonesque is not treated that way but I like it sometimes to give a recipe my own twist  ^-^

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »

Still reading here but not posting much due to a lack of time...

I'm a bit suspicious about the mold I see, are you sure it's PC? That's the reason that I suggested to clean it.
I gave my Bleu d' Armand a regular cleaning (The "Boofer way", read his posts about his Bleu d' Ambert) and it turned out very well.
Normally the rind of a Stiltonesque is not treated that way but I like it sometimes to give a recipe my own twist  ^-^

I'm glad at least you're keeping the forum in your mind.....    hope your lack of time means you're doing fantastically wonderful and fulfilling things.   :)  Yeah, maybe the white mold isn't PC but it's likely to be given the last cheese in that box was a PC monster.....although could be something from a Mycodore cheese maybe.  Hmmmm.  I like giving recipes a personal twist too and I love hearing about what others do.  Thanks for your input and I'll see what I can do.  I'd like an easy way to make it less humid for a while but am not sure I can do that and keep the temp correct.  I'll muddle through.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
a traditional "toma blue" in my region has a funky rind, as you had thought kathrin.  I have been advised by local cheesemakers that once you think you have a pretty good blue growth inside the cheese, they lower the humidity, to around 60/65% and brush lightly if/when molds get out of control, otherwise they just let it go natural. 
I brushed mine because I had what I judged to be mold getting a little out of control, but sort of regret that now.  Good luck and let us know what you decide to do and keep us posted on how it turns out.
I am attaching a picture of what I dream to make successfully someday, this is a traditional toma blu from Moncenisio (Mont Cenis in french, it is on the border btwn france and italy)

Celine, thanks for the ideas and support!  Hmmm, lowering humidity is difficult with this but it's what I was thinking when I checked it last night.  I'll work harder at a solution to that.    I appreciate that photo.  I'll aim for that.   ::)