Author Topic: What is the earliest any of you have cracked open a washed-curd (Monterey Jack)  (Read 668 times)

Offline meyerandray

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
I have a cool-water washed curd that will be 40 days old tomorrow, and we are going to a friend's for a BBQ and she asked me to bring some cheese.  This is the only one that is even close to being ready, I intetended to cut it around 60 days, but maybe I could move that date up?  Any opinions?
Thanks, Celine

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 196
  • Contemplating cheese
"No cheese before its time...." ???  Someone, somewhere must have said that.

It's a tough call. The cheese may be okay...maybe just a tad young. It would disappointing if it wasn't ready. I'd say if you really must take this cheese, cut it at home first and try to objectively ::) sample/qualify it. If you feel it's ready, proceed. If not, reseal it and continue affinage.

If it isn't truly ready for presentation, there must be a suitable surrogate available at a market near you. You could offer that with an apology for not serving the company unripened cheese. Pride in craftsmanship. 8)

Good luck.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline meyerandray

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
Thanks Boofer, I agree, and was definitely going to open it at home and taste first, I don't want to bring a failure to a BBQ!  I will sleep on it and decide in the morning. I'll let you know if I open her up!!

Offline meyerandray

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
I used qnd Apple corer (sp?) As a trier, and decided it was ready so we brought it. It was very good, I took some pics to post, but my phone is misbehaving, and I can't find them...I will post when I find them.
The cheese was very good, it was soft, melted well and had a good texture in your mouth, and was flavorful but not strong. This was the form that I had coated with olive oil, paprika and ethiopian berbere, which everyone loved. Personally I would rather use the berbere on bigger forms (this one was about 1kg), as it is very flavorful, and I found that it covered up the flavor of the cheese, although it was easy to remove the rind and taste the cheese on its own. All in all a success. The knit was very good, but there were lots of tiny holes throughout, so I'm guessing that was caused by a not perfect knit?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 71
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Eagerly awaiting photos!  I like how small holes look in a cheese and all my washed curds had some.  In fact most of my cheeses have some small holes of varying quantity.  I'm so glad you did a spice coated cheese!  Did you put anything else on or treat the rind in any other ways to keep molds off?   :)

Offline meyerandray

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
I have some pictures:

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Nice looking cheese!!!  Congratulations!  It's nice to bring cheese to events, isn't it?  And having lovely hard or semi-hard cheeses is such a thrill......at least for me it was a "I made that"!?!?!" moment of shock!

A cheese to you for a creative and tasty cheese and sharing the photos! 

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 16
  • I love me some cheese!
How did you treat the rind to come out like that?   Amazing looking cheese!
Cheesy Congrats and kudos!

Offline meyerandray

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
A Kathrin-inspired rind:
Olive oil and a parprika/berbere (ethiopian spice mix) blend.  I made it into a not thick enough paste, and spread it on.  Next time, I will put less oil in the mix, and hope for a more consistent covering.

Kathrin, any feedback from the cheeseshop guy??  Don't forget to let us know

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog

Kathrin, any feedback from the cheeseshop guy??  Don't forget to let us know

I have to choose a Tuesday or Thursday to take cheeses in because those days he's not at the counter.  I have two goats who have due dates today so tomorrow isn't such a sure thing.  I'll be sure to let you all know what he says even if it's an "ick, how can you call this cheese" reaction.   ???