Author Topic: My 2nd Stiltonesque  (Read 7444 times)

jwalker

Re: My 2nd Stiltonesque
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »
Very nice cheese indeed !!

Great texture , mine always come out more dense and not as crumbly , what am I doing wrong ?

A cheese to you.

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
Hi jwalker,

This is only my second attempt at a stiltonesque, and my first one I aged way too long and it ammoniated.  Maybe compare the posted procedures from makes that look to have the texture you're aiming for with your own make notes.  See what differs, if anything.

hoeklijn

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »
Also a nice one Jeff! A cheese for you in return :)
I think that the fact that mine was taller made the spaces between the curd much smaller and thus reduced the amount of blue. Maybe next time I'll try 2 smaller ones....

JeffHamm

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
Ok, finished the last couple of bites of this one today.  It has gone past its best point (for me) and was getting a bit ammoniated so it had to be finished up before it was inedible.  I'm sure this has to do with not airing it out for the past while.  However, the texture was still very good and creamy.  I've been very pleased with this one.  I think next time I'll cut way back on the amount of blue I add though, as I think getting the mould to develop more slowly would be a good idea.  This one exploded with blue before I had a chance to smooth it, and slower is usually better with cheese.

- Jeff