Author Topic: Farmhouse blue recipe  (Read 1692 times)

Matthewcraig

Farmhouse blue recipe
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »
I didn't really know wether to put this in the hard cheese thread or blue cheese thread so I put it here feel free to refer any body to it. I was searching on the forum to see if this had been done and a later found out that it hadn't really so here it is my recipe for a blue farmhouse cheddar.

Ingredients

8 litres (2 gallons) full cream milk

1/8th teaspoon Mesophillic direct set starter culture

½ teaspoon (2.5ml) liquid rennet diluted in ¼ cup (60ml)

½ teaspoon Calcium Chloride diluted in ¼ cup (60ml) non-chlorinated water (if using homogenised milk)

2 Tablespoons cheese salt (non-iodised salt)

1/8th teaspoon penicillium roqueforti

METHOD

1. Heat the milk to 32°C (90°F). Add the Calcium Chloride (if necessary). Add the starter and penicillium roqueforti and stir well. Cover and let milk ripen for 45 minutes.

2. Add the diluted rennet and stir gently for 1 minute. Cover and let stand at 32°C for 45 minutes or until you get a clean break.

“3. Cut the curd into 1.25cm (½ inch) cubes. Increase the temperature to 38°C (100°F) slowly, no more than 1 degree for every 5 minutes. Stir to ensure that the curds do not mat. This should take about 30 minutes. The curd will shrink a bit.

4. Cover the pot and let it stand for 5 minutes.

5. Pour the curds into a cheesecloth lined colander, drain for a few minutes then tie the corners of the cheesecloth into a knot and hang the bag over a bowl. Allow to drain for 1 hour. The curds need to stay warm so hang at room temperature.

6. Place the drained curds back in the pot and gently mill into half and inch sized pieces. Mill in the salt, then pack into a lined cheese mould.

7. Fold over cheesecloth, top with follower and press at 5kg for 10 minutes.

8. Remove the cheese from the mould, gently remove the cloth and turn, re-wrap, and press for 10kg for 10 minutes.

9. Repeat and press for 25kg for 12 hours.

10. Remove from the mould and air dry the cheese on mats at room temp.

11. Leave to air dry for 4-7 days turning it four times a day.

12. Pierce 4-8 holes (depending on size of wheel) on each side.

13. Leave for a further 2 days at 7-11 degrees centigrade.

14. Now wax and leave at the same temperature and around 55-68% humidity for 3-4 months depending on preferred strength.

Sorry I couldn't post any pictures as I made this a bit of a time ago and just managed to find this recipe in my binder if anyone does make this feel free to post pictures.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:00:25 PM by Matthewcraig »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Farmhouse blue recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »
This will be interesting 8)
Where's the pix????
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Matthewcraig

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:17:02 PM »
Sadly this isn't one I have aging at the moment I might make one next week though  8)

Matthewcraig

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »
Sorry for the lack of an update this topic has been dormant for quite along while abit like my blue cheddar but it has sprung to 'life' so here are a few pics as you can see I have a firm rind round the edge while a blue but firm top and bottom. I will update more once It starts to spread

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:37:37 PM »
12. Pierce 4-8 holes (depending on size of wheel) on each side.

13. Leave for a further 2 days at 7-11 degrees centigrade.

14. Now wax and leave at the same temperature and around 55-68% humidity for 3-4 months depending on preferred strength.
Sorry, I missed this thread.

I don't understand why you would pierce and then wax within the same week. You would want to give the PR a chance to breathe and develop. That's going to be a tad difficult if the air is restricted. ::)

So, how's it progressing?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 04:02:40 PM »
It's progressing well I need to edit the recipe because you can either wax it or not if you don't then you make some holes which I have done as I did not want to wax it, sorry for the misunderstanding :)