Author Topic: Basic question about Cheddar culture  (Read 175 times)

Offline Leaf

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
    • Tea Leaves and Violins
Basic question about Cheddar culture
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »
Hey there! ^^

I was planning my first cheddar when I came across the cultures page on Ricki Carroll's website... and then I became confused. So the questions is thus:

Using MA011 instead of MA4001 (because it's the only thing I have in my fridge), how will my cheddar age?

Plus I read somewhere MA011 is for fresh cheese only, so I was wondering, is the "thermophilic adds" in the MA4001 really important to get a nice aged cheddar? And by "aged" I'm thinking 3 to 6 months, because I doubt I'll have enough patience to wait further... for now, anyway.

Any thoughts?

(Small edit for error in culture's name)

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline dthelmers

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
    • Homely Arts
Re: Basic question about Cheddar culture
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »
You can use MA011 for Cheddar. If you want to introduce some TA into the mix you could add a bit of yogurt. I usually use MM100 for my Cheddar style cheeses, which is the same as MA011 with the addition of L. lactis diacetylactis, which gives a more buttery flavor.
Dave in CT

Offline Leaf

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
    • Tea Leaves and Violins
Re: Basic question about Cheddar culture
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »
Thank you for your answer, dtherlmers! I'd use MM100 if I had some, but I still have a very large pack of MA011 to use before I can justify buying another culture, that's why I was asking. I'll remember the yoghurt trick and try it for the next batch I make. ^^ Thanks again!