Author Topic: Basic question about Cheddar culture  (Read 1045 times)

Leaf

Basic question about Cheddar culture
« on: October 06, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
Hey there! ^^

I was planning my first cheddar when I came across the cultures page on Ricki Carroll's website... and then I became confused. So the questions is thus:

Using MA011 instead of MA4001 (because it's the only thing I have in my fridge), how will my cheddar age?

Plus I read somewhere MA011 is for fresh cheese only, so I was wondering, is the "thermophilic adds" in the MA4001 really important to get a nice aged cheddar? And by "aged" I'm thinking 3 to 6 months, because I doubt I'll have enough patience to wait further... for now, anyway.

Any thoughts?

(Small edit for error in culture's name)

dthelmers

Re: Basic question about Cheddar culture
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
You can use MA011 for Cheddar. If you want to introduce some TA into the mix you could add a bit of yogurt. I usually use MM100 for my Cheddar style cheeses, which is the same as MA011 with the addition of L. lactis diacetylactis, which gives a more buttery flavor.

Leaf

Re: Basic question about Cheddar culture
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
Thank you for your answer, dtherlmers! I'd use MM100 if I had some, but I still have a very large pack of MA011 to use before I can justify buying another culture, that's why I was asking. I'll remember the yoghurt trick and try it for the next batch I make. ^^ Thanks again!