Author Topic: Jarlsberg the second  (Read 4475 times)

BobE102330

Jarlsberg the second
« on: June 06, 2013, 01:11:51 AM »
Here is my second attempt at a Jarlsberg, the cheese I intended to make on Sunday when I realized I had the wrong milk mix heated. It was a pretty nominal 200 easy cheeses make, overshot initial temperature by 2 degrees F, but it was back down to target by the end of ripening.  During cooking and stirring I had to take some back breaks from stirring but tried to make up for it by being a bit more vigorous when stirring.  It only took 25 minutes to reach 108 F after the addition of hot water instead of the target 30.  I held it at temperature for the extra five minutes, stirring. 

200 Easy cheeses calls for "firm" pressure in the press and defines that as 20-45+ psi.  My dutch press was creaking with 150 pounds on the 7.75" diameter Tomme mould, about 3.2 psi.  I got a decent knit,even had issues with curd extruding through the cheese cloth.  Some nubbbins took a divot when I removed the cheese cloth, and some of the bottom edge of the cheese stuck and pulled off.  Out of the brine those areas have toughened up, and I suspect that the washing will take care of the unsightliness.

Yield was pretty good, 4 pounds 0.6 oz out of the press from 15 quarts of P/H milk with CaCl2 added.  I lost an ounce in brine. (only 13 hours instead of the 24 I did last time.  SALTY cheese)

Drying Jarlsberg pictured below.  Here's hoping for better eye formation this time. 

BobE102330

Re: Jarlsberg the second
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »
The first cool phase is over and the warm phase started today.  I may be imagining it, but I remember that the top surface was flat 2 hours ago.  This was about as much swelling as I got from the last one. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
Fingers crossed, Bob.

Some observations:
  • The recipe in the 200 Easy Cheeses book calls for thermophilic, which IMHO is incorrect. See the attached doc.
  • Even at 13 hours brine time, (IMHO) that puts a strain on the PS which is salt-sensitive.
  • You can alleviate some of the sticking in future makes by dipping the cheesecloth in acidified whey when you go to flip & rewrap the cheese, or by using Sailor's spray.
I included a Maasdammer recipe as an additional datapoint since Maasdam is a close cousin to Jarlsberg.

HTH. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »
Thanks Boofer.  The recipe may call for the wrong starter culture, but I liked the taste with Thermo B. From your links it appears thermo C would be a better choice if going thermo.  I'll try your recipe soon.  Maybe I will buy Alp D.

I thought I'd dipped it in the whey before the first pressing under whey.  I'll re-dip next time.

It seemed to be a bit bigger this morning. 

BobE102330

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
It's been a bit over 5 weeks, and it smells so good on the outside I had to open it.  I was greeted with good eye development, and an even better smell.  Tastes good, nutty and proprionic. I'm happier with this than the last.  On the downside, it is moister than usual for the type. I knew it was moist, as I could not get the whatever side was the bottom to dry off. Next time I stir harder.  And try meso, as Boofer suggested.  As moist as it is, I will be eating this now rather than trying to age out longer.

Hooray cheese!  It's a bit more yellow than the picture makes it out to be.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »
Sweet, Bob! 8)

A cheese for a great-looking Swiss Jarlsberg.

Here's my address.... ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

BobE102330

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 04:18:17 PM »
Thanks, Boofer.  As you might suspect given its age the taste is more like a baby Swiss or Alpine Lace, but I like it. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
That looks really good!  Nice hole development, and the result sounds pretty good all round.  A bit of extra moisture is not a disaster, and a bit more vigorous stirring next time is probably all that needs.  A cheese to you.

- Jeff

BobE102330

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 12:54:47 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I have a new extra large whisk that ought to help me get a finer cut, too.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 01:12:06 AM »
That looks great! the eye formation is almost perfect.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

BobE102330

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »
Thanks Bill.

jwalker

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
Wow , that looks great Bob !

I haven't been able to get very much in the way of eyes in any of my cheese , I wonder if my PS is no good or out of date ?

A big cheese to you for that success , I have an Emmentaler in the warm phase right now , I added extra PS just in case , I hope it looks even half as good as yours.

You say you are going to use a whisk for cutting the curd , what size curd does the recipe call for ?

BobE102330

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the cheese Jim.
I don't remember the cut size, but it's the 200easy recipe. I don't have my notes handy but I remember this was a bit large. My new whisk is pretty coarse but long enough to reach the bottom of my pot. Tall skinny pots make it hard to get the bottom curds cut horizontally.

EDIT: Jim, somebody mentioned too much salt as a problem for PS. My first attempt I over brined. This one was in the brine for a mere 6 hours. I used the same amount of PS, so I'm guessing salt was the reason I had almost no eyes the first time. The first was about 13 hours brining.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:58:36 PM by BobE102330 »

John@PC

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
I haven't been able to get very much in the way of eyes in any of my cheese , I wonder if my PS is no good or out of date ?
I've had the same problem.  Added a little extra PS with my last Jarlsberg but haven't noticed much swelling after about 6 weeks.  Is there any way to test PS to know it's "active" other than making the cheese?