Author Topic: Coconut oil/leaf adorned Tomme  (Read 11440 times)

jwalker

Re: Coconut oil/leaf adorned Tomme
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »
I wonder if combining coconut oil and beeswax would work?  It might solve the cracking that bee's wax has, wouldn't be petroleum based wax (which could be a selling point), and it would firm up the coconut oil?

- Jeff

Yes Jeff , it does work , I mixed some up two weeks ago as all my waxed cheeses were cracking if not handled very carefully.

I kept heating/cooling the wax until it felt right , it was eventually a 50/50 mix of oil and wax , and it's still harder than cheese wax , but it seems to be working very well on the ones I re-waxed.

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I recall finding one suggestion to combine vegetable shortening (i.e. crisco) with bee's wax to make the bee's wax more pliable as well.

- Jeff

John@PC

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
I need to order some cultures and will add beeswax to my shopping list to try.  I'm a fan of coconut oil like Tiarella but I'm not so much a fan of it's greasy feel.  In theory mixing the two should give separation problems when cooling, but if it works it works!  I did my own experiment mixing canola and olive oils in equal amounts and solidifying them in a freezer night before last.  They looked like they were well blended until I started to thaw the mixture out.  Turns out during "freezing" the olive oil coalesced in a little ball with the canola around it.  The picture shows the ball of olive oil (still solidified, with the little glass I used) surrounded by the melted canola.  Reminded me of an egg sunny side up ^-^

Spellogue

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »
I've got about 8 lbs of beeswax from last season's honey harvest.  Perhaps I'll try blending it with coconut oil for cheesewaxing as well. I'm hesitant to go beyond 50% wax in the mix.    I wonder if a blend of beeswax, coconut oil, and  small amount of peanut oil would yield a more pliable result. 

John@PC

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 12:41:48 AM »
The peanut oil could present a problem.  The solidification temp is very low like most vegetable oils so it may enhance the greasy feel.  Also it's not as stable as coconut oil.  Maybe olive oil could be an option?

Some months ago (before I d-contaminated my fridge cave) I did experience some black mold (almost mildew like) growing under some coconut oil coated cheese.  I scraped the oil and mold off, wiped with cheesecloth soaked in hydrogen peroxide and re-oiled.  Seemed to do the trick.   I didn't think about it but when I oiled I could have heated the coconut oil to waxing temp. and that should have killed the surface mold if not the spores.  I'll give that a try sometime soon.

I haven't yet used the cream (wax emulsion) coating but it sounds like a good option and I've read a lot about it on the board.  I'm pretty sure it has an anti-fungal agent that I assume is natamycin, but this could be added to your coconut oil / wax blends as well.  I run a ionizing system so mold isn't an issue for me, but for those of you that may need it and want to "oil" you can get the natamycin commercially.  It's expensive, but a little bit goes a long ways.

jwalker

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »
  In theory mixing the two should give separation problems when cooling, but if it works it works!

Maybe in theory , but the batch I made up , looks just like pure wax when hard , no separation at all.

50/50 wax and coconut oil , and I am going to try for a softer version , meaning more oil , will see if it works and report back.

If anyone else tries it , I would be interested in hearing your results.

Cheers , Jim.

Spellogue

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »
Once I have something I need to wax I plan to try blending some beeswax and oils.  When I do I'll post about it.  So far this season I've made mostly fresh cheeses and started some blues.  I'm about to embark on a major bloomie campaign.  I have new white mold powders due to arrive today in my order from Yoav.  Yea!

I usually start into harder cheeses around August, but might make some cheddar types and semi-hard Spanish cheeses sooner this year. I normally use black wax for those, but a beeswax buff might be nice.  What did the color of your oil/wax blend look like?  Are you going to 60% coconut oil or even higher on your next attempt?

JeffHamm

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »
I found this set of instructions for "cheese wax" on the net a few years ago.  I've never tried it, but if people are experimenting this might be worth a try:

CHEESE WAX (Ounces by weight):
13.5 ounces beeswax
2.5 ounces vegetable shortening

Heat the ingredients in an oven at 200 degrees F. until combined. Remove the wax from the oven and wait for it to reach 160-180 degrees F. Dip the cheese and remove it with one quick, smooth motion. Repeat this step until the wax is about 1/16th of an inch thick.

- Jeff

jwalker

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
What did the color of your oil/wax blend look like?  Are you going to 60% coconut oil or even higher on your next attempt?

It looks translucent white , much like paraffin wax.

I'm going to keep adding oil until it is too soft or something else happens , like it won't harden , then I will add back some wax until I find the mix I want.

It takes a while , because you have to let it cool each time to see what the finished consistency is going to be.

A good side job on a cheese making day. ;D