Author Topic: Coconut oil/leaf adorned Tomme  (Read 11438 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Coconut oil/leaf adorned Tomme
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:37 AM »
Gotcha, thanks.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
I've got an idea for  chive tomme with vertical chive blades inlaid around the whole edge.  Can hardly wait to do that one.  I've got two other tomes in the fridge sealed with coconut oil but no adornment and I'm not watching the humidity in the fridge.  I want to see how how protective the coconut oil can be.  I've so far learned that you need a pretty good layer to keep moisture in.

Did my chive idea on a chive Caerphilly and started a thread entitled Caerphilly Chived. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
Tia,

I experimented with a coconut oil coating yesterday. The oil that I used was solid at room temperature and had to be heated in warm water before applying with a brush. The oil remained tacky even after it cooled and air dried. To me, that makes the rind undesirable for eating and I feel the need to remove it somehow after aging. From a commercial standpoint, this would be really problematic.

There are different kinds of coconut oil with different melting temperatures. What are you using, and how are you applying it?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »
Hi Sailor,

I'm so glad to see you experimenting with this also!  Mine is liquid on very warm days but I heated it last night also before use.  I think one way to handle the tacky issue is before sale let it sit in a slightly warm room and wipe it with a cloth.  I notice that at warm temps is wipes pretty much right off.  I think a hair dryer or just putting it near something warm would help.  More work?  yes, but for someone wanting a clean rind and no petroleum wax it might be worth it.  I think it has other advantages also.....still experimenting and not coherent about those yet.  I may even try using it on a cut wedge to see how well it preserves a piece of cheese.  That may me a nice way to avoid other packaging although it'd never be okay in a self serve place like a super market.  I could see it in a cheese case.  I'll try it soon.  Let's keep experimenting.........

meyerandray

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
My fig leaves are starting to turn brown.  I thought the oil would have preserved them, I guess I should soak them in alcohol first next time.  I have a wild cherry infused grappa that my husband's colleague made, I might try in that.  Kathrin, you freeze your leaves straight off the tree/plant and then use them?  Do they brown at all?
A new use I have discovered, when applying the oil to the cheese, I had some on my hands, which were really dry, so I just rubbed it in, and have to say that it is great.  I put some on my feet too and they are like new!  I will be putting some on my hands and feet everynight before bed this summer.  I bed it is good after a day out in the sun.

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 08:29:33 PM »
I wonder if combining coconut oil and beeswax would work?  It might solve the cracking that bee's wax has, wouldn't be petroleum based wax (which could be a selling point), and it would firm up the coconut oil?

- Jeff

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
FYI coconut oil is classified as an allergen, which makes it a little more complicated for commercial purposes. A little sidebar - coconut oil is used in makeup, especially mascara to make it slippery. Lots of cases of women having reactions to mascara.

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 10:47:38 PM »
That's a good point, and one that a commercial producer would want to consider.

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:07 PM »
FYI coconut oil is classified as an allergen, which makes it a little more complicated for commercial purposes. A little sidebar - coconut oil is used in makeup, especially mascara to make it slippery. Lots of cases of women having reactions to mascara.

That's really surprising to me!  Hmmm.  I do remember that coconut oil used to be used for a LOT of cooking and other applications until the South Pacific's involvement on the "wrong" side during the war.  Coconut oil is credited with a lot of healthy effects that were lost when we switched to mainly domestic oils.  I'll do a bit more reading up. 

Don't think I want to mix beeswax into it because I'm pretty happy with it straight but I hope others will experiment with that.  I know some folks have added various oils to beeswax to make it less brittle. 

I think if and when I have an aging system with appropriate humidity I'll try very thin layers of coconut oil merely for mold protection.  I'll report back on that but it may be a while before I have the opportunity....  :-\

JeffHamm

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 02:02:01 AM »
According to an Australian allergy web site (I've misplaced the link), coconut allergy is considered very rare (peanut and tree nut allergies are considered common - and they are separate allergies as the offending proteins are different).  But, there are those who are allergic, so it's best to let people know if you've used it.

- Jeff

Spellogue

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 04:33:06 AM »
I've barded cheeses with a number of different animal fats.  I like the ease of rind care and the character of the resulting cheeses.  Coconut oil seems a good "vegetarian" option, that would satisfy my eldest daughter.  She likes my cheeses, but didn't want anything to do with the farmhouse cheddar I slathered with rendered bacon grease. 

John@PC

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
I'm excited to read about your experiments with coconut oil, Tiarella, and your leaf application technique.  I've been using coconut oil off and on for about six months.   It's not as good as waxing, but a lot more convenient and quick and does soften the rind.  Sailor is right though in that it makes for a "greasy" feel because the transition temperature is around 72F and even though the cheese is cool your fingers warm the coating enough to make if feel "lardy".  That said, coconut oil is very stable compared to others and will keep at room temperature over a year without getting rancid.

I used the expellar pressed oil with the strong coconut aroma but lately have switched to a refined version with no noticeable smell.  It's actually popcorn oil I had sitting around with beta carotene in it that goes on yellow but eventually turns clear.  When I get ready to eat I scrape the oil off with a straight blade and wipe with a cloth as you suggested.

I've got a gouda and manchego ready to be coated, and this time I think I'm going to apply the lightest coating I can rubbing it in with my hands.  I will also attempt a leaf application, but I know mine won't look near as good as yours.

Jeff, you should be able to combine beeswax and olive oil at the beeswax melt temp but when cooled the beeswax portion will harden first.  I'm going from memory here having worked with different melt temp waxes for an industrial project so to make sure I've got some olive oil and canola mixed in the fridge to confirm.

One last advantage of coconut oil.  When you get through rubbing down your cheese you can either lick your fingers or apply liberally to your skin to moisturize.  Not something I would recommend with lard :P.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 11:18:50 PM »
hey John!  I'm excited that YOU'VE been using coconut oil for longer than I!  Very cool.  How has it done for you?  Do you keep your cave humidity correct or use the coconut oil to stave off desiccation like me?  You too can do cool leaf adornment.  Check out my first leaf adorned Caerphilly cheeses on that board.....they were done with honey and what a pain.  Some good tips about the leaves on that thread.  Vacuum packing them flat, fe
Reezing and thawing gives nice flat, limp leaves to use.  I'm hoping the coconut oil versions taste as good.  I did some cool leaf adorned Valencay style also.  Seeing the white PC bloom around the leaves is cool.

I can't imagine why you'd think that your leaf adorned cheeses won't look as good or better than mine!  Have fun with it.  Did you see the photos of my Caerphilly Cived cheese?  Fun chive adornment on that one.

Have you done coconut oil over cocoa powder and paprika rind cheeses also?  I find that a very cool use for that.
 :D

John@PC

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »
I have a humidifier running in my cave and it keeps it right at 80%, but it drops if I forget to put water in the pan so then the oil helps.  I think it makes a generally softer rind as well.  Other thing I failed to mention that you probably already have learned it's great for coating the paste after you cut a chunk off.

I did look and your Caerphilly Chived and was so impressed I gave up my forum virginity and gave you my first cheese ;)  I liked the mottled look and love chives.  Did you just toast the fresh chives before adding or did you have oil in the pan?

I happened to have a brie I just finished today and even though it's a real messy pain I sometimes like to ash coat it because it looks so neat when you cut it and I think helps the coat to develop.  Thought about your leaves and thought I would have a little fun.  First picture is my poor attempt at making some leaf silhouettes (activated carbon gets everywhere you don't want it!).  Went ahead and finished the coating and at midnight I'm going to put the black cat in the cave ::).

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 11:12:22 PM »
Hey, thanks for the cheese!  Did you go see the Caerphilly leaf adorned threads.  I give the name of the plant whose leaves I like to use.  it's a particular perennial geranium and I vacuum pack and then freeze.  It works very nicely to just press onto the wet bloomy cheeses.  The wetness of the draining whey combined with the limpness of the thawed leaves makes the leaves adhere and then the PC starts in and holds the leaves on.  Nettle leaves work well also and I think almost any leaf will work.  (edible leaves of course!). Thin limp leaves are probably easiest. 

I like the leaf pattern you did with ash.  too bad it won't show.  Do another one with the leaves and do leaves on a coconut oil rind, or did you already do that?  I do a layer of coconut oil and then put the leaf or chives on and rub more oil over them.  Cheese decoupage.   :D