Author Topic: Rubber Cheese with spots  (Read 3416 times)

Keyser Soze

Rubber Cheese with spots
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
Hi all !

I made my first pressed cheese last week ( sort of).  Was supposed to be a butterkäse made from whole milk and a little cream. I used a pair of old Margarine tubs, one with holes and one as a follower because I could not wait for the ones I ordered ( impatient). Pessed with a variety of heavy objects and brined it for about 5 hrs.  Placed it on the counter on chopsticks and air dried for 2 days, then put it in a covered box with a damp cloth , on chopsticks on a plate and turned it every day for the last week and a half.

It feels like one of those old "Superballs"  if I throw it, it will come back twice as fast as it left.  It has also developed two small reddish spots on one edge and a host of nasty little green spots that come back after vinegar and heavy salt water touchups.

I'm sure I did everything wrong ( no patients) but what would cause the rubber thing?  It has only aged a week and a half so far.

Thanks

stratocasterdave

Re: Rubber Cheese with spots
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »
I use a mixture of vinegar and kosher salt to rub off the unwanted molds.  Some use a brush.  Just keepknocking them down like you are already doing and you shoudl be fine.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
If the cheese seems very moist, and easily grows unwanted molds, there was probably too much whey, and thus lactose, remaining in the curds from insufficient cooking (for a "hard" cheese). That might account for the rubbery spring you describe (though using too much rennet causes tough, rubbery curd as well). If there was too much lactose still in the curd, you may find the finished product tastes sour.
If you keep up with washing the rind with a light brine, you might find it naturally develops a tacky, then reddish-orange b.linens type ("stinky cheese") rind.

george

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »
I've found that butterkaese can get rubbery like that pretty easily if you stir it too much (done that accidentally a few times).  It still always tastes awesome, though - but it's absolutely HEAVEN when made with spring milk.

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
I'm sure I did everything wrong ( no patients).

Yes , You even spelled "patience" wrong , unless of course you're an out of work doctor. ;D ;D ;D

All kidding aside , it seems like lots of cheeses start out kind of rubbery initially , but change consistency with proper aging.

It may get better , I would keep aging it , at least for a month or so , not sure about the mold thing though , keep washing it?

Cheers , Jim.

Keyser Soze

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:51:42 PM »
Sorry.  I have no idea how to spellcheck eeder.   ;)   

I have got 2 red spots starting and am thinking the stinky cheese rind may be the way this is heading. The green spots are wiping off, but I may try to dig some of them out as they are getting deeper.  Can I sanitize with chlorine and hot water, or is it better to boil all the molds and spoons?  I'm going scientific on the next one and I'm going to try this again in a week or two when my press is finished. I'm going to do some FD starter in ice cubes and maybe some thermo too.  In the meantime, I'll make some beer and Landjäger ( or maybe Bratwürst) to go with the cheese when it's done.
  I'm working on a place to put a cave fridge, I can have one if I can walk across the road to put the cheese away. ( sounds like a why did the cheese cross the road joke of some sort).

It'll come in handy if I make bigger cheeses some day, I can roll them down to the house.

Keyser Soze

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 12:40:39 AM »
Hi all !!
Quick update.  This is a really earthy tasting sort of Gruyere(sp).  Like laughing cow with a mushroomy aftertaste.  Could have been worse.  I gave it to my brother and Mom and they loved it, (after they shaved off the moldy bits).

Tomorrow I make a Butterkäse for real.  Made a press and can't wait to try it out.  Got a vacuum sealer too.  I can't wait.

Thanks for the pep talks everyone

Eric

jwalker

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 12:28:36 PM »
So it was edible then , and even enjoyable.

Well , a first cheese to you for that one.

Good luck with your new equipment and future makes.

Cheers , Jim.

Keyser Soze

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 02:26:58 AM »
Thanks for the cheese JW !! 

Have not made anything for about two weeks, fell off my motorcycle on July 4th and have been nursing a very sore bunch of ribs.  Managed to make a batch of beer ( Munich Dunkel) to go with the cheeses I have made since the last post :-)  Next weekend maybe another Bütterkäse !!
Looking forward to tasting the last one, but I've another month or two to go.

tnbquilt

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:55:13 AM »
I hope you feel better soon. Ribs are tough. No matter what you move the ribs are affected, except maybe a toe.