Author Topic: First Blue  (Read 10209 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: First Blue
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
I take my Stilton for a walk daily, airing it for 30 to 45 minutes, at the same time I flip it and then back to the cave.
Just let it do it's thing, they do get scary lookin, I have yet had one go bad 8)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:55 PM »
Since it's a month old and I was wondering how it's going on the inside I broke out the cheese iron and took a core sample.  Nice a creamy with plenty of PR growth already.  Slightly salty and a mice level of blue flavor.  I think it'll be pretty much ready for the big unveiling in another month or two depending on how impatient I get.  Here's a pic of what the cheese iron brought out.....

Offline Spike

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 10
  • Time to turn the cheese
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 12:19:48 AM »
Wow, looks good enough to eat! I do not think I could wait 2 more months.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2013, 03:45:53 AM »
I'm dang near just eating it.  I really want to wait another month but the rind is doing nothing and I have to keep washing it to keep it from smelling bad.  If I move it to colder storage, what should I wrap it with??  I've got cheese paper and can get whatever else.

thoughts?

thanks

Mike

jwalker

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
My last blue was made with raw milk , it was one month old and was pretty much ready to eat , but I wanted to age it one more month to be sure it was over 60 days.

I wrapped in cheese paper and put in cold fridge for another month , it was Great !

Continued to soften and age just enough.

That's what I would do if you don't want to eat it now.

Smurfmacaw

Re: First Blue - the tasting
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
I decided to cut the "stilton" last night as my grand daughter likes blue cheese.

Nice and creamy texture, much different than when first made, with a definite blue aroma.  The aroma from the PV strain of PR falls somewhere between strong and intense.  Definitely has the PR tang with cheesy milky undertones.  The veining was well developed and pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

The taste - home run on this one.  Rave reviews at work from my foodie buds.  The taste is definitely stilton with an intensely salty piquant blue flavor.  I think this strain of blue might be a little much for a normal stilton so I'm glad I didn't age it out to 90 days or pierce it again.  The flavor starts off as salty like in an "artisan" stilton with the milk softness and grassy flavors for a fleeting instant until the strong blue tang from the PR kicks in and dominates the flavor.  The texture came out as slightly crumbly with a really nice creaminess.  You can feel the mold veining on your tongue which gives an added depth to the texture.  Overall, not a cheese for the faint of heart but not totally overwhelming either.

Next time I'll reduce the salt slightly just to see what effect it has and I'm either going to buy a piece of quality stilton from the local cheese monger and use it's PR or order something a little less "in-your-face" just to keep with the style though I do really like this one.  (Usually when I go to Venissimo and buy cheese, I ask for the one that will grab you by the tongue and beat you with it.")

My wife pronounced it fit to eat and announced we are having roasted potato salad with watercress and crumbled stilton this weekend.....guess I'll have to start another one!

Extremely happy with this cheese.  And now a picture.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »
Congrats. Does the granddaughter approve?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Spike

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 10
  • Time to turn the cheese
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 11:46:49 PM »
I have been waiting for that picture. Looks great. Have a cheese!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »
that is so perdy :P
A cheese for your nummy lookin Stilton ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/