Author Topic: First Blue  (Read 10210 times)

Smurfmacaw

First Blue
« on: June 08, 2013, 03:18:11 AM »
Well, since I like blue cheese and Stilton is pretty much my favorite I decided to go for it.

Used the make from wa cheese (thanks Pav). 

Some interesting things afoot, finally got a pH meter that works. 
so here we go:

and excuse the typos, the big blue bird in the avatar is "helping" me type!

Make:

3 Gal Trader Joes creamline milk
Flora Danica starter
3/4 tsp CaCl
41 drops calf rennet
Chooit C9 PR (high proteolitic and aroma but that is what i could get today)

brouhgt the milk to 70 degrees
added a small pinch of the PR and 1/2 tsp of Flora Danica
pH was 6.85!  Meter calibrates fine and measures other things that would give an expected pH.  Don't know what is goingo on with the milk.

Let it ripen 90 minutes (got a .02 drop so I guess the FD is finally waking up)

Added CaCl and let it rest for 5 minutes.

Added 41 drops rennet and got floc at 12.5 minutes.  Used a floc factor of four.  Great curds and very easy to work with.

after50 min, cut to 1 inch.

Let brew for 90 min.  Occaisional stirring to keep from matting.  pH still high but dropping slowly.

pH dropped to 6.36.  not quite what I wanted but I wanted to proceed.  Curds looked really good and agian were easy to work with.

Moved curd to a cheese cloth bag.  Wow, lot of curd.  tied the ol' Stilton knot and put it back in the pot.  Tightened tbe knot twice in two hours.  Lot of whey expelled but i let it set in the why.  pH dropped to 6.0.

removed bag of curds, discarded whey and it is now sitting at room temp to acidify.  Made ricotta but only got about 300 gm's.

More to follow and of course pics.

2300 and  the pH is 5.2.  the flora danica is finally working and how!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:02:41 AM by Smurfmacaw »

Smurfmacaw

Re: First Blue
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »
Got up this morning and the curd pH was 4.8 so I added 2 tsp salt per gal of milk (6 tsp total) after milling it to 1/2 to 1 inch pieces.  Molded it up in a 7.5 inch mold.  Weight of the curd was 3lb 10 oz.  Didn't take a lot of pics since I was doing my math homework in during each waiting period but I'll post a few in a little while.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
I look forward to seeing some pics of this as well as the blue developing.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »
Only have two pics at the moment.  I'll take a pic when I unmold it in four days.  Very moist curd.  I decided that the 7.5 inch mold wasn't going to work since it had a bottom and the cheese will take a bit to knit.  Put it in a 5.5 inch mold and it actually fit.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »
hey, I'm curious about your ricotta and whether it will immediately become blue ricotta.  Can you report back on that please?  I am wondering.......   :P.  Thinking it could make great blue ravioli. 

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »
Would the PR spores survive being taken to 190 degrees for 20 minutes?  That would make for an interesting filling though.....I might have to innoculate some ricotta to see what happens.....sort of a blue ricotta salata.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »
The heat should kill them and you shouldn't notice any difference.
A blue Ricotta? Let us know your thoughts if you do make one.
-Bill

shotski

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:31 AM »
Would the PR spores survive being taken to 190 degrees for 20 minutes?  That would make for an interesting filling though.....I might have to innoculate some ricotta to see what happens.....sort of a blue ricotta salata.

Smurfmacaw the heat does kill the PR. I have made ricotta this way a few times. Tastes like ricotta :)

Smurfmacaw

Re: First Blue - It's Alive!!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »
Flipped it this morning before I went to work and discovered that the PR is alive after all.  I was beginning to wonder but it's there.

Smurfmacaw

Re: First Blue more pictures
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 12:30:13 AM »
When I got home from work the mold looked funny.  Since it's the 4th day I pulled the mold and this is what I found.  The sides were completely white this morning.  This must be a fast growing strain.  After admiring it for a while I smoothed it out and into the cheese cave it went.

shotski

Re: First Blue more pictures
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 01:11:25 AM »
When I got home from work the mold looked funny.  Since it's the 4th day I pulled the mold and this is what I found.  The sides were completely white this morning.  This must be a fast growing strain.  After admiring it for a while I smoothed it out and into the cheese cave it went.

PR is aggressive. had you let it out one more day it would have been pretty much covered. Nice job on you cheese.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 06:23:17 AM »
That looks like it is going to have some very nice veining. Well done!
-Bill

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »
This one smells really good so I'm looking forward to watching it develop but most of all trying it in a couple of months.  I'll post more pics as it develops.  I'll pierce it the first time this weekend.  Meanwhile the plan is to keep it under a bowl to keep the humidity nice and high while the blue develops and then let it mature with the rest of the inhabitants of the cave.  I've got to get some containers since I seem to be having trouble maintaining decent RH in the dorm fridge that serves as a cave.  Daughter is studying abroad next year so I have a second dorm fridge that I just need to get a controller for.  Got to figure out the humidity thing though.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »
The cheese smells fabulous.  I'm letting it stay out for 30 min twice per day to get some air.  I have it under a bowl to keep the humidity up since I'm having some issues with RH in the cave.  It's just now starting to show signs of blue on the outside of the rind after I smoothed it....is that normal or should I give it more time in the air.  I'm keeping it at 52 degrees and I estimate the RH inside the bowl is around 95%.  Usually a light condensation on the walls of the bowl but the cheese is not wet and does not show obvious signs of condensation dripping on it.  There does seem to be a decent case of the endemic GC on the rind.  Will the PC win or do I need to attend to that?

thanks

Mike

I alos got my new cheese trier from Yoav.  Best price going and looks great.  Can't wait until this cheese is older and I get to play with my new toy.  Pictures in a day or two when things get going a little better.

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 08:18:44 AM »
oh, this is looking good. keep us posted as it develops!