Author Topic: Hirten Cheese- Any Thoughts  (Read 2870 times)

CheeWilly

Hirten Cheese- Any Thoughts
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »
I ran across a new cheese in Costco called Hirten and it absolutely fabulous.  I have searched high and low to find a recipe for this cheese but have failed in my endeavor.  Can I use a piece of this cheese to create a culture to try and catch the same flavor?  If so, how do I accomplish this?  Here is a link of the cheese.  http://rosenborgcanada.com/english/getcheese.php?cid=136  I recommend trying it if you find it.  The taste is between a good aged Gouda and a Parmesan, with a slight caramel and pine hint.  The cheese is hard and the rind is chewy. 

linuxboy

Re: Hirten Cheese- Any Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
I have searched high and low to find a recipe for this cheese but have failed in my endeavor.
Nothing more than an alpkase. We have a good recipe here on the forums.

Can I use a piece of this cheese to create a culture to try and catch the same flavor?  If so, how do I accomplish this?
Not at home, no. Doesn't work that way for an aged cheese. You could potentially recover some viable cells in a lab, but at 9 months, even this is very tough.

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »
I have heard of hirtenkase cheese , but haven't found a recipe for it , it's probably a variation of that.

I would think one of the more experienced members here would know.

Hirtenkäse, or "herder's cheese", is a distinctive cow's milk cheese made in the Allgäu area of Southern Germany.[1][2][3][4]
Traditionally, cow herders bring their cows from the Alps into Allgäu each fall in mid-September.[1][2] September 18 typically "marks the official start of the Almabtrieb, or descent, a day celebrated with a festival ...."[2] Hirtenkäse is made from the milk from these cows.[1][2] It is usually aged eight months.[2]

Cheers , Jim.

Keyser Soze

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »
I was in the Allgäu during that time a couple years ago.   It was the most fun I had during the whole trip.
The noise of those giant cowbells under all the cows and the 200 + going by three feet away was very cool. They also had plenty of beer, wine, cheese, bread and sausages to feed the masses. Quite beautiful really.  Would love to see it again, as that was a small group.  I have heard they bring down some 4-500 head in some of the larger festivals.  That would be a sight to see.
I gotta go get some cheese !!