Author Topic: My 1st (2) Stiltons  (Read 7823 times)

tnbquilt

My 1st (2) Stiltons
« on: June 08, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
I made two 4 gallon Stilton's last night. I read so many recipes that I decided to do them slightly differently to see how I liked it.

Cheese #1 I used 4 gallons of milk, 1/2 tsp Flora Danica, 1/4 tsp PR, 1 tablet of vege rennet. I did not cut the curd on this one, I ladled it into the colander. After pressing I sliced this curd into squares.

Cheese #2 I used 1/2 tsp of MA-4002 instead of the FD and I cut the curd on that one. I liked this process better, it drained easier. After pressing I tore this curd into pieces.

I asked about salt content the other day and most people responded with 2 tsp per gallon. After pressing my cheese I weighed my curd and calculated the salt content at 2.5% like Gianiclis Caldwell says to do and it came out almost exactly the same. Both cheeses were 4 gallon makes and cheese #1 weighed 58.1 oz which calculates out to 1.45 oz of salt which is 8.7 teaspoons. Cheese #2 weighed 52.7 oz which came out to be 1.31 oz of salt which is 7.86 tsp. Just in case anyone was wondering. One of my recipes called for 1 gallon of milk and 1 tablespoon of salt. I'm glad I didn't use that one.

jwalker

Re: My 1st (2) Stiltons
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »
Just in case anyone was wondering. One of my recipes called for 1 gallon of milk and 1 tablespoon of salt. I'm glad I didn't use that one.

I guess it's a matter of taste , I've tried two tsp per gallon and 1 tbsp per gallon , I actually prefer the one with more salt , and I don't normally eat salt on anything , but that's just me.

I've also found that the PR seems to like a little more salt as well.

I like those cookers you use , do they hold 4 gallons each , and where did you get them , I would be interested in getting one myself.

Let us know how those turn out.

Cheers , Jim.

tnbquilt

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:04:41 PM »
They are 18 quart roasters. They make the best cheese vats. You can control the temperature so well, and they hold heat for long periods of time after you cut them off. I bought one of them at Target back around Christmas for $40. Then when I decided to buy another one they didn't have one at the stores around here so I ordered it off of the internet and it was $55. They are usually out in the department stores around Thanksgiving. I've seen them at Walmart and Sears too.

I have put 4 gallons of milk and 4 cups of cream in them, so that is 18 quarts.

Somebody else here on the forum posted some pictures with his in it once and I went out and got one right away. I was making cheese in a 5 gallon stainless pot by sitting it in the sink and adding hot water. That pot cost $50, so the price is about the same to get your own double wall electric cheese vat.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bella-13425-roaster-oven-18-qt?ID=599250&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Electrics_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Brands+-+Electrics_PLA+-+Electrics+-+Bella+-+ship99-_-30622360916_-_-_mkwid_uohXCoDA|d{device}_30622360916|-|uohXCoDA

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »
Tammy, that roaster does look like a good option.  What is it lined with?  Enamel?  I wouldn't want some chemical non-stick layer because I avoid those.  They are on sale at that link you provided.... $39.99 until June 16th.  Four gallons would be nice!

Kathrin

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
Thanks for the info and the link.

I was looking at one on Amazon and they were $20 more than Macys , the link you provided , that seems very reasonable.

So far I have been using an old enameled five gallon canner that used to belong to my grandmother , it works well , but is very thin and will burn on the bottom if I'm not real careful.

Cheers , Jim.

tnbquilt

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:34:37 PM »
They are enamel on the inside and the liner removes for washing, like a crock pot. I have two of them, a Nesco and a Bella. They work a little differently but you wouldn't know that if you weren't trying to use two of them at the same time. When heating the milk from 90 to 100 I have to set one of them on 225 and the other one on 200 because it heats faster. Heating milk slowly is so easy when all you have to do is turn it down.

When I first got mine I decided to cook a ham in it. Don't do that. It took me forever to scrub the black crusties off the inside corners of the pan so that it could be used for cheese again. I scrubbed it with a chore boy, and didn't damage the liner though.

I guess I could buy an extra liner, but I wouldn't bother, I just use it for a cheese vat.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
Looking great!  Should be interesting to see the differences.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

tnbquilt

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:04 PM »
They smell great. It may be my imagination but I think that the one made with Flora Danica smells stronger than the other one. I couldn't decide if people added Flora Danica to the other culture, or just used it for the culture. I had one recipe that said MA 4000 and one that said Flora Danica so I tried both.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »
They are enamel on the inside and the liner removes for washing, like a crock pot. I have two of them, a Nesco and a Bella. They work a little differently but you wouldn't know that if you weren't trying to use two of them at the same time. When heating the milk from 90 to 100 I have to set one of them on 225 and the other one on 200 because it heats faster. Heating milk slowly is so easy when all you have to do is turn it down.

When I first got mine I decided to cook a ham in it. Don't do that. It took me forever to scrub the black crusties off the inside corners of the pan so that it could be used for cheese again. I scrubbed it with a chore boy, and didn't damage the liner though.

I guess I could buy an extra liner, but I wouldn't bother, I just use it for a cheese vat.

Tammy,  Can you tell me how you use these to get milk to 90 degrees?  Do you put it on low and watch your thermometer?  How long does it take approximately?  Do you ever have scalding?  Do you have to stir it very often while heating? I'm curious and tempted to get one....perhaps the 22 quart one looking ahead to bigger batches potentially.  I looked on Amazon too and there's an 22 qt Hamilton Beech for $48 that is tempting.

BobE102330

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 03:22:28 AM »
It will be interesting to hear how your Stilton's compare.  I really like my Stiltons with Flora Danica.  Enough that I haven't tried any other starter. I find that the curds taste good in the first few days, while other starters tend to have little taste early.  However, my latest Caerphilly didn't work out so well, but the addition of FD was one of two changes I made, so I will have to go back and try that again. 

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 07:35:58 AM »
The cooker looks like a good option for larger batches.
The only downside is that everything from iTunes to cookers get 70% added to the price when you say you are from Australia.
I followed the link and then set location to Australia. Voila....

Bella 13425 Roaster Oven, 18 Qt.
 Web ID: 599250
3.8 / 5
8 reviews
1 Question & 0 Answers
Reg. USD 71.99
Sale USD 47.99
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

jwalker

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »
I know what you mean about prices Bill , the same thing happens here in Canada , everything is much higher in price.

I am one of the lucky ones tho , I live right on the U.S./Canada border , I buy everything in the U.S. and have it shipped to a pickup point just across the border , I drive across and pick it up.

An extreme example is my Honey Extractor , it was $1600 anywhere in Canada , I got mine out of Montana for $500 , shipping to the border was only $50 , so a huge savings.

I guess it would be a long drive for you tho , plus some boat time...................... ;D

Cheers , Jim.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
I know what you mean about prices Bill , the same thing happens here in Canada , everything is much higher in price.

I am one of the lucky ones tho , I live right on the U.S./Canada border , I buy everything in the U.S. and have it shipped to a pickup point just across the border , I drive across and pick it up.

An extreme example is my Honey Extractor , it was $1600 anywhere in Canada , I got mine out of Montana for $500 , shipping to the border was only $50 , so a huge savings.

I guess it would be a long drive for you tho , plus some boat time...................... ;D

Cheers , Jim.

Jim, Do you have to pay customs on everything? 

jwalker

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 06:36:29 AM »

Jim, Do you have to pay customs on everything?

No , just have to pay our BC taxes (12%) when coming through , if they're not too busy at the border.

Sometimes they just say "have a nice day" , if they don't figure the amount they will collect is worth the time to do the paperwork.

Anything made in the U.S.A. or Mexico is exempt under the North American Free Trade agreement , anything made outside of those countries , but bought in the U.S.A. , is subject to duty (up  to 20%) , as well as tax , but it is rarely enforced unless the dollar amount is fairly high.

Any Food is pretty much exempt from duty and tax , although they have limits on dairy products.

Alcohol and tobacco are strictly enforced and duty collected on anything over the personal exemption , which is a six pack of beer per person per trip.

Cheers , Jim.

tnbquilt

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
I take my thermometer that is on a chord, the unit magnetizes to the refrigerator, and I loop the chord through the handle on the cabinet door so that the probe hangs straight down into the milk. I set the pot on 350 and it takes about 45 minutes to get 4 gallons of milk up to 90 degrees. I do stir it while heating, because the sides get hot faster than the center, but I don't stir it much. If it takes me 45 minutes to heat it up I usually go by and stir it about 4 times. When you get tot he part where you are heating it up to 102 or whatever, I set the control on 225 and then I write the temp on the dry erase board on my refrigerator, and set my timer for 5 minutes. Every 5 minutes I stir gently and check the temperature. IF it's heating too fast I can turn down to 200.

I love my miniature cheese vats. I didn't see that 22 qt one that you are talking about before now or I would have bought it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:06:10 PM by tnbquilt »