Author Topic: Caerphilly Chived  (Read 9462 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Caerphilly Chived
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:40:43 AM »
Decided to make a chive Caerphilly.  2  1/2 gallons raw goat milk.  MA4002, LBC80, MVA for cultures.  used a cheddaring version of this cheese make.  The curds were SO delicious it was hard not not eat them all before they made it to the press even!  Floc and cut timing was on target with what I expected.  This one I dried fresh chives in a sauce pan but with the lid on they rather wilted and then hardened.  I added them at the cheddaring stage. 

I wanted to decorate this cheese experimenting with coconut oil and chives.  It still has another coat or two of coconut oil to come but this is what it looks like for now.  I vacuum sealed and froze the chives and some blossoms to make them limp and flat for ease of adhering them.  I did a circlet of individual chive florets on the top.  We'll see how it works.....life is an experiment!

Oh, right.  Forgot to tell you that I added Anatto AFTER curd cooking so the color is rather mottled.  Joseph likes the effect.  I'll add it earlier next time.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Caerphilly Chived
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
Not sure if I like how this turned out visually.  I may try a simple braid of chives as a midline belt.  I can either change this one or do it next time.........

meyerandray

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »
An artist as usual.  I think it looks great, for easter time you could put more flowers on the top and it makes me think of an easter basket...

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
I think it looks really good too.  A braided belt would also be nice, so I guess you have to make .... MORE CHEESE!

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »
Thanks, Guys!  I like the idea of more flowers but first I'll need to see how these do, how they hold up.  I might try drying some flower petals for future makes.  I think dried petals might have a better chance at holding onto their color.  I wonder if rose petals would be nice.  My rose blossom season is about to start so I'll have lots of options.  Hmmmmm....

Spellogue

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 04:49:55 AM »
I've used dried rose petals in spice blends in the past.  For the best flavor remove the white 'heel' of each petal as it can be bitter. This seems more important when using large domesticated flower petals.  I don't bother doing that with tiny wild rosé petals and the results have been good.

I quite like the look of the chive leaves around the sides.  I think running the blades vertically, perpendicular to the top and bottom would make a great presentation too.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
A cheese nestled in the tall grass....

Yet another beautiful creation by the forum artiste.... 8)

A cheese to you for imaginative use of vegetation in a dairy setting. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »
I've used dried rose petals in spice blends in the past.  For the best flavor remove the white 'heel' of each petal as it can be bitter. This seems more important when using large domesticated flower petals.  I don't bother doing that with tiny wild rosé petals and the results have been good.

I quite like the look of the chive leaves around the sides.  I think running the blades vertically, perpendicular to the top and bottom would make a great presentation too.

I'm confused because the chive blades ARE vertical and perpendicular to the top and bottom.  Did you mean horizontally and parallel to the bottom?    I agree that it would look nice.  Or braided chives as a belt..... 

Thanks for the rose petal tips.  (almost a pun). I have mostly old fashioned roses so I'll experiment.   :D

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 02:41:58 PM »
A cheese nestled in the tall grass....

Yet another beautiful creation by the forum artiste.... 8)

A cheese to you for imaginative use of vegetation in a dairy setting. ;)

-Boofer-

Thank you, Boofer!  I guess that's what milk is too; an imaginative use of vegetation in a dairy setting, done by goats.   ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »
I guess that's what milk is too; an imaginative use of vegetation in a dairy setting, done by goats.   ;D
I'm not so sure about the goats' imagination at work here, but otherwise...well said, spot on.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
Wow, that looks really cool.  I'm impressed by your artistic flair.  My youngest is extremely artistic.....maybe I should have her decorate cheeses for me.  Have a cheese for a great looking cheese!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 06:43:12 PM »
Wow, that looks really cool.  I'm impressed by your artistic flair.  My youngest is extremely artistic.....maybe I should have her decorate cheeses for me.  Have a cheese for a great looking cheese!

Thank you!  And I bet your daughter would love decorating cheese!  I want photos of it all of course!!!   ;D

Spellogue

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »

I'm confused because the chive blades ARE vertical and perpendicular to the top and bottom.  Did you mean horizontally and parallel to the bottom?    I agree that it would look nice.  Or braided chives as a belt..... 

To clarify I might have suggested running a solid band of chives around the sides of the cheese for another look, packed like sardines, especially if you want to concentrate more chive flavor.  I especially do like the way you have them on this cheese though.  Looks like grass growing in the springtime.

Thanks for the rose petal tips.  (almost a pun). I have mostly old fashioned roses so I'll experiment.   :D
[/quote]

I'll be excited to see and hear about a rose petal cheese if you decide to do it.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:03 AM »

I'll be excited to see and hear about a rose petal cheese if you decide to do it.

Ugh.  Tried to make a blue that I'd planned to adorn with rose petals.  Wanted a gentle buttery yellow color.  Used double strength annatto so I halved the amount. Note to self: next time quarter the amount!  This thing looks like cheap orange cheddar.  We'll see how it goes.  I don't have a good set up for ripening blues anyway so it's going to have a LOT of challenges on it's way to becoming something.  I'll post photos if rose petals ever make it onto this cheese.   :o

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
This thing looks like cheap orange cheddar.
I can't seem to view the picture. :P

Sounds like a coloration problem I had recently.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!