Author Topic: CHR Hansen's geo strains  (Read 1972 times)

iain

CHR Hansen's geo strains
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:27 PM »
Does anyone have experience using CHR Hansen's geo strains, as described here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2968.0;attach=7035.

Specifically, I am producing geo-ripened goat cheeses and would like a somewhat "tighter" wormy pattern than I am able to get by using Danisco's Choozit Geo15. I would like to achieve a rind more akin to  Vermont Butter & Cheese's Coupole.

Would either of the yeasty strains (Geo CE and Geo CB) be likely candidates for this job?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: CHR Hansen's geo strains
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
Would also love to know a source of more info about different geos.  I have Geo 13, 15 and 17.  is there somewhere with photos comparing their impact on the same make of cheese?

jerryg

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
I've also been trying to duplicate Cremont but haven't used those Geo strains. Looking at the Hanson fact sheet, the CE appears to have the stronger yeasty tendency.
My most recent attempt was with Geo 15, no PC. Result was a slightly wrinkled rind, nice paste but truly terrible flavor- bitter and just off. Not sure what went wrong.
If you do have some success with this please let us know. That family of cheese is kind of my holy grail.

iain

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:26:35 PM »
I've had some success using Geo15 along with the yeasts KL and CUM. The flavor has been good - for the most part - though they are fairly temperamental and can easily end up with an unsightly rind. Aesthetically, I would prefer the tighter worms that you see on the cremont, etc. I'll try to post a photo of the Geo15 cheeses soon.