Author Topic: Rind scrapings as source of cultures?  (Read 1689 times)

mspieg

Rind scrapings as source of cultures?
« on: June 14, 2013, 12:38:23 PM »
Hi,
has anyone here experimented with taking a scraping from the rind of a store-bought cheese, rehydrating it, and then spraying it onto a new wheel? I'd love to experiment with some of the rinds of the more unusual Washed Rinds and Tommes from France and Italy, but I'm wondering if this method has any chance of success, or if I would just end up contaminating my wheels with whatever had taken up residency in the weeks since it went from the affinage caves to the cheese counter.

linuxboy

Re: Rind scrapings as source of cultures?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »
Works fine 60-70% of the time, depends on handling. Do exactly as you describe. Make 2% sterile salt solution, blend rind piece in sterilized blender, wash during first few days and then let it grow. It will usually not turn out the same, but will set the cheese in a similar flavor trajectory.

We've discussed this before in a few threads, no time to find it.

jerryg

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
Do a forum search for "morge" Lot's of responses

Alpkäserei

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
I've cultured from my own rinds before, made a wash solution, and first used it on a few old cheeses before using it to wash new ones, that way i bring up whatever critters are growing on my rinds and get them going in my wash brine.

but this is all a matter of reinforcing certain strains of the local wild flora anyway, so I don't know how it will far with exotics.

mspieg

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:41:09 PM »
thanks guys! Very helpful info :)