Author Topic: Bulgarian Feta  (Read 2638 times)

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Bulgarian Feta
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:34:31 PM »
I like Feta, but the commercial ones can be overly salty and extremely dry and crumbly and not to my taste. I have been enjoying a goat's milks feta from the store on a regular basis, and have also made several recipes to try and cut down on the dryness and saltiness. I've posted elsewhere about some of my mishaps.

the solution to my problem presented itself in the monthly newsletter I get from New England Cheesemaking Supply Company. Specifically, the April issue contained an article by Jim Wallace which described the Bulgarian version of Feta and specifically describes it as less salty and creamier because if does not develop as much acid. As Mr. Wallace states, this cheese id called "sirene" in Bulgaria, but I like the Bulgarian Feta moniker and will keep it.

The recipe is very easy to follow and only takes four ingredients (Milk [I got mine from Costco!], Salt, Rennet, and MA4002). It took about four days to allow the cubes of cheese to firm up and become salty and after that I stored them in a light brine.

As advertised, this is a cheese that is creamier than a Greek Feta, and can be significantly less salty. Although the recipe recommended using 5% salt by weight for the dry salt rub, I used only about 2.5% and was very happy with the results. I shared my two pounds of cheese with several friends and neighbors, and received many compliments on it. It is all gone now, and I am thinking of making some more.

I'm hoping others have tries this recipe, or others, and would be interested in your opinions?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Re: Bulgarian Feta
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:10:33 AM »
Is it possible that you could post the recipe of provide a link to it?

Thanks.

NV.

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:13:56 AM »
Yes please, a link or a post? And a description of how you made the brine? I've got MT1 waiting here to start a batch of feta again.....

kookookachoo

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »
Hiya!

I just made this today & just got done cutting the curds, resting now, so the end result is still a lonnng, many hours away. But, I'm very hopeful. I love feta, but wished it were less crumbly.

The Bulgarian Feta recipe is found here:

http://www.cheesemaking.com/BulgFeta.html

Please let me know if you guys make it, too & maybe we can compare notes??? Good luck!

~Steff~

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 11:03:58 PM »
Sorry for not responding, everyone, but I've been travelling. On the other hand, I see that kookookachoo already posted the link.

Good luck to you all!