Author Topic: My first Gouda  (Read 3162 times)

Spellogue

My first Gouda
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:25 AM »
Seat of the pants Gouda

8/7/13

Summer is such a busy time for us. Nevertheless. amidst a crazy day off from work, I was still hell-bent on making a Gouda.   I took the milk out of the fridge to start to come to temp and did a partial inoculation on one quart while I went into town to run errands, including picking up a 22 quart pot for bigger makes than my standard 2 gallons.  Absent any Kazu in my stash, I took Pav's advice on combining an FD type culture with MM100, basing this make loosely on his wacheese Gouda recipe.

11 quarts raw goat milk, five days old and fresher
Brought all milk out of fridge.
Added 3/16 tsp Aroma B to 2 qt fresh, unrefrigerated morning milk.
let all milk set at room temp for 5 hrs. 
Combined all milk
Added 1/8 tsp MM100 and brought to 88F
Stand 5 minutes
1/16 tsp dry calf rennet.   5:30pm
Floc at.  5:38  pm   8 min.  x3 = 24 min
Cut  curd into 1/2 in cubes at 6:02 pm using my crude attempt at Alp's draw method taking 5 min to accomplish
Heal 5 min.
Stir 15 minutes
Remove and reserve 6 cups whey
Replace with 6 c.130F water
Stir 5 min
Repeat 2 more times heating to 102F
Stir 15 min
Rest 5 minutes
Pack curd into cloth lined  tomme mold.
Using whey from 2nd and 3rd removal, press under whey using 6 lbs for 10 minutes.  Redress.  12 lbs. for 10 min more.  Remove cloth.  Press naked with 24 lbs under whey for 1 hr and press dry for 4 hrs.
Set in saturated brine 8 hours
Air dry 60 hours
Refrigerate 5 days
Wax

And then the waiting begins.

This seemed to be a slightly more involved make than my main go-to recipes, but I enjoyed working on it. I'm happy with the look and smell of this Gouda so far. 

I didn't take many pics during the make, and now the camera is flaking out on me, but here are a few.  I used a two gallon bucket of honey to set 24 pounds on the mold inside the pot. I really need to build a press.  The cheese got a little oblong as it dried since it was resting on a slightly bowed surface, but I still like the look of it.

hoeklijn

Re: My first Gouda
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »
A nice looking Gouda! Are you going to wax or coat it?

Spellogue

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »
I plan to wax it. I should have done it lat night, but I had milk to use and put my efforts to makings a tomme instead.  I hope to get it waxed tonight.  It certainly seems dry enough.  I'm going to smear ripen, or at least wash the rind on the tomme, so a low maintenance waxed Gouda in the pipeline seems appealing.

BTW, I am wondering, other than the ball shaped form factor what the real difference between Gouda and Edam is.  Recipes seem similar.  Is Edam traditionally a washed rind cheese whereas Gouda is not? 

shotski

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »
 Looks like a really good start Spellogue. Hell bent is the only way I ever get anything done so I am sure it will turn out great.

shotski

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »
I plan to wax it. I should have done it lat night, but I had milk to use and put my efforts to makings a tomme instead.  I hope to get it waxed tonight.  It certainly seems dry enough.  I'm going to smear ripen, or at least wash the rind on the tomme, so a low maintenance waxed Gouda in the pipeline seems appealing.

BTW, I am wondering, other than the ball shaped form factor what the real difference between Gouda and Edam is.  Recipes seem similar.  Is Edam traditionally a washed rind cheese whereas Gouda is not?

My understanding is  that Edam is made with low fat milk and Gouda is made with Whole milk.

Here is my first Gouda.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11449.0.html

Spellogue

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:14:18 AM »
Very nice.  I wanted to stick to a plain Gouda on my first attempt.  I will eventually try some flavored Goudas though.  The style seems to be a great platform to showcase a wide variety of taste sensations.

hoeklijn

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »
No, Edam is not a washed rind cheese. Recipes are indeed similar but the shape is different. Traditionally Edam is waxed and Gouda is coated, we only wax the Gouda to sell it for a lot of money in souvenir shops to the tourists  >:D
We have more cheeses that are Gouda-based but are sold under different names, often due to the region where they are produced.
We don't have a traditional washed rind cheese, although we have a province named Limburger, the Limburger cheese with washed rind is originally from the Limburg province in Belgium.

Spellogue

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
No, Edam is not a washed rind cheese. Recipes are indeed similar but the shape is different. Traditionally Edam is waxed and Gouda is coated,

Thanks for the answer, Herman.  I asked because 200 Easy suggests washing an Edam, but that didn't seem right to me.

we only wax the Gouda to sell it for a lot of money in souvenir shops to the tourists  >:D

Perhaps I should age my waxed Gouda in a suitcase. ;D