Author Topic: Accidental Gruyère  (Read 2216 times)

BobE102330

Accidental Gruyère
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:32:07 AM »
My first Jarlsberg attempt was a bit salty with few eyes, but well received.  I started heated my 3.5 gallons of milk to 92 F intending to make another. Then I remembered that it the recipe calls for skim with a quart of cream added and this was cream line milk at 3.75%+ fat. Turn off the heat and a quick flip through 200 Easy Cheeses and I've never made one so Gruyère it is. Put away the Thermo B and get out the Thermo C. The make went pretty much according to the recipe.  Cooking temperature increase was a bit fast a first, but I got it slowed down so that it took 70 minutes to reach 114 F.  The curds just barely fit in my Tomme mold, but after 4 hours in the press it's lost a half inch or more in height. 

Proof of life pictures will come when it heads for the brine. 

BobE102330

Re: Accidental Gruyère
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
Here is the proof of life picture I promised.  I had nubbins through the cheesecloth.  Into the brine for the day.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
Don't you love it when an (altered) plan comes together? ;)

Congrats on dancing on the head of a pin, autocorrecting, and rerouting your synapses finding an appropriate recipe.

Yeah, I believe I've done that several times myself. Nice.

Good job, Bob.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
Thanks, Boofer

BobE102330

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
Now 6 weeks old, for various reasons I missed a wash or two and the cave humidity got too low.  Unfortunately the rind cracked pretty well so I bagged the cheese.  (vacuum bagged, that is).   Out of the brine at nearly 4 pounds, it now sits at a mere 3 pounds 5 oz.  and is significantly shorter than the initial picture.  It has a fairly even rind color if you ignore the cracks.  Back into the cave until the holidays.