Author Topic: First try at Caerphilly  (Read 2240 times)

Cryptorchid

First try at Caerphilly
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
Good morning everyone, i recently joined the group and have bee lurking for a bit. I have recently made Camembert should be 3 week on the fourth of july and a Havarti (also still aging, was going to go out three weeks?)
I have made a few soft cheeses with success and decides to try some more challenging cheeses. will know how i did soon with the Havarti and Camembert. This past weekend i decided to give a    
Caerphilly a try.

I get my milk from a local dairy processed the same day so it is fresh. There are also some local dairies here that sell raw milk for $10.00 a gallon so i might give that a try next.

A slightly modifies recipe i found here:

2 gal Cow milk + pint ½ & ½
87F
¼ tsp Flora Danica, plus 1/8 tsp thermo B
Let sit 5 min, mixed in  12:34
30 minute ripe
Add CaCl 1/2 tsp diluted in ¼ cup cold well water 1:05, waited 5 min
Add Rennet 1/2 tsp, diluted in ¼ cup cold well water 1:10, stirred 1 minute, temp 88f
15 min Floc (15x4=60min)???( not quite sure I understand this fully yet)2:12
1/4" curd cut
heated to 90F, 30 min stir and 10 minute curd rest/settle 2:55
Drained in cheesecloth and twisted 3 turns over 40 minutes wasn’t sure how hard to twist
Cut and stacked for 10min, restacked for another 10 min
Milled curd to about thumbnail size and added a shy 2tbsp salt
Pressed:
10lbs for 30 min flipped
10lbs for 30 min flipped, salted
18lbs for 60 min flipped, salted
18lbs for 60 min flipped, salted
26lbs for 12+ hours
Brined in a saturated brine for 5 hours, put into cave monday morning @ 55f.

I have to still take a picture of the finished cheese to post

We shall see.....

jwalker

Re: First try at Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »
I get my milk from a local dairy processed the same day so it is fresh. There are also some local dairies here that sell raw milk for $10.00 a gallon so i might give that a try next.

$10.00 bucks a gallon , that would make for some expensive cheese , what do you  currently pay for your milk ?

Please post some more pics.

cheers , Jim.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Welcome to the group!  Looks like a good outcome is likely from this make.  aaaah, care to share how you chose your forum name?   :o

Cryptorchid

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
Welcome to the group!  Looks like a good outcome is likely from this make.  aaaah, care to share how you chose your forum name?   :o

It was started as a joke a very long time ago, have used it for years. mostly to see who pays attention. To be honest i think you are only the second person to notice!
didn't mean to offend!

Cryptorchid

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »

$10.00 bucks a gallon , that would make for some expensive cheese , what do you  currently pay for your milk ?

Please post some more pics.

cheers , Jim.

I'm paying $4.50 a gallon for whole milk, same day fresh here.
Plus I make a gallon of yogurt twice a week from their 2% (some for my wife and I and some goes to the pigs every day mixed with their grain for dinner. The pigs also get whey mixed into their grain as well.)Makes the pork unbelievable every time!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »

It was started as a joke a very long time ago, have used it for years. mostly to see who pays attention. To be honest i think you are only the second person to notice!
didn't mean to offend!

No offense taken at all.  It just gave me a double take and since it refers to undescended testicles I was surprised anyone would choose it as a moniker.   :o   >:D

Cryptorchid

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:29:07 PM »
Finally got around to taking pictures of my other firsts.
First picture is my first attempt at Camembert, they will be 3 weeks old on the 8th. Kept at 85% and 45-50f  The second is a Havarti that has been aging two weeks. Just washed it off with a 50/50 water/vinegar as it had a bit of geo. The third is my Caerphilly, just washed as well as it had some geo starting. Both the Havarti and Caerphilly are in the same cave at about 90% and 55-60f. I think i have to work on dropping the humidity on these two to try and stop the geo. Right now i have no real cave, i am using a large cooler with bottles of ice water in them in my basement. Hoping to get a wine fridge off craigslist this week.
M

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »

didn't mean to offend!

No offense taken at all.  It just gave me a double take and since it refers to undescended testicles I was surprised anyone would choose it as a moniker.   :o   >:D
Obviously an esoteric inside joke. ???

Who is "Cryptorchid", MKelly?

Let's see, probably used Cryptorchid first as moniker, but changed it to MKelly after some reconsideration.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.