Author Topic: What is a cream coating?  (Read 1597 times)

tnbquilt

What is a cream coating?
« on: May 15, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
I keep reading about cream coatings, and I don't know how you do that. I have waxed, and cloth bound cheddar. I like waxed cheddar better. I have washed the rind on Swiss and Gruyere with the wine, water salt solution. I have made the dry rind on Swiss like Rickki Carrol's recipe says, where you just wipe it off everyday but don't wet the cheese. It grows a thick dry rind that you have to cut off before you eat it.

I like that oiling it with coconut oil theory of Tiarella's also.

But what is cream coating and how do you decide when to use it?

linuxboy

Re: What is a cream coating?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
It's PVA or similar polymer, usually with natamycin added for mold protection. Coats the cheese to slow down moisture loss, and protects the rind. You paint it on.

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
I have three Goudas that just kept growing mold under the wax , I finally got some of the yellow coating and removed all the wax , cleaned off the mold and re-coated the cheeses , so far no mold is coming back , so hopefully , the natamycin is doing its job.

Natamycin, is a naturally occurring antifungal agent produced during fermentation by the bacterium Streptomyces natalensis, commonly found in soil.

I like the way it goes on , I like the looks , and it seems to adhere very well to the cheese , I would suggest to anyone that they at least try it once.

It is probably all I will use anymore , it comes in Yellow , Black , or clear.

I think pricewise , it is comparable to cheese wax.

Cheers , Jim.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
Anyone know of a place which ships this thing abroad at a reasonable cost?  I can only get it by the drum locally (20kg).

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »
I get mine from the U.S. , just across the border , where I drive down and pick it up , they only ship in the U.S.

These guys are here in Canada , but state they will ship internationally    http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/shipping.htm

Cheers , Jim.