Author Topic: toma blue with pink accents?  (Read 4704 times)

meyerandray

toma blue with pink accents?
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
Similar to kathrin's post, I made a toma blue last Monday the 20th.  I used 10 liters of raw milk, a thermo mix called TOMA ST and PR. I too only ripened for 15 minutes, but don't remember why...I just wrote down the time. My notes for this make are worse than normal (which is bad). I cut, brought upto 38degrees, held and stirred.  I put it in heavy brine for 4 hrs.
I put it in my cave the next morning, by day 7 I had a good beginning growth of blue, I pierced it on the top. I will turn and pierce the other side on Monday (7 days after 1st piercing). I am keeping this one about 70-80% humidity, although local cheesemakers (who make toma blue) said that is a little high.
I brushed it this morning , but am wondering if that was a mistake? It seemed to have a lot of mold growth, I too have no idea on what to do for the rind... Reading k's thread I am wondering if I got rid of much desired blue?.
By the way, has anyone ever seen these bright pink spots? This is my second blue, and the second time I have gotten these spots. Last time the cheese was delicious anyway, so I am not worried, just curious.
Attached are some pics from today, before and after brushing, and of the pink spots.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:58:35 PM by meyerandray »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: toma blue with pink accents?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:42:05 PM »
Hey look, blue gloves! ;)  Awesome.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »
Looking Good.
The pink spots are most likely B Linens, I had it come along for the ride on my Stilton and I wouldn't worry about it.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 03:25:58 AM »
Hi Celine!  Glad you started this thread.   I'll be watching carefully in case I can glean some hints of what to do.  I'm hoping the Mycodore I added is not going to ruin my attempt at a blue tomme.  Not sure about your pink.  I thought I remembered reading somewhere about some type of pink mold that was to be avoided.  Not sure if the mention was in a book or on the forum.

Just went into a fancy cheese shop today, asked to speak to the cheese buyer and after reassuring him I was not trying to sell him cheese I asked if he'd be interested in trying some of mine and giving me some feedback.  I showed him some photos on my iPad and he said he'd be delighted.  Not sure how experienced he is but it'll be fun anyway.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:27:14 PM by Tiarella »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:17:03 AM »
Just went into a fancy cheese shop today, asked to speak to the cheese buyer and after reassuring him I was not trying to sell him cheese I asked if he'd be interested in trying some of mine and giving me some feedback.  I showed him some photos on my iPad and he said he'd be delighted.  Not sure how experienced he is but it'll be fun anyway.   ;D
That's great! Hopefully he will have some useful background and expertise to give you an assist or at least an informed opinion.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

meyerandray

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:12:39 AM »
Just went into a fancy cheese shop today, asked to speak to the cheese buyer and after reassuring him I was not trying to sell him cheese I asked if he'd be interested in trying some of mine and giving me some feedback.  I showed him some photos on my iPad and he said he'd be delighted.  Not sure how experienced he is but it'll be fun anyway.   

Ooh, this is very exciting.  I have brough pieces of cheese to other cheesemakers, who tell me it is "really good" but obviously I am hoping for a little bit more.  Even if he isn't some expert fromagère, if he has a cheeseshop he at least knows what people like to buy.  I hope he will be able to give you some feedback that is more significant than "it is really good" (which I am sure it is!!)
I can't wait to hear what he says!!
Keep us posted, Celine

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:13:52 AM »
Yeah, Boofer and Celine......I'm hoping for hints on direction and what an expert thinks.  I did mention various cultures as I skimmed through the photos for him and I'm not sure if he's up on that end of things.  We'll see and I'll let you know.  I am excited and a bit nervous.   :)

tnbquilt

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 02:45:11 PM »
I am searching for Pink and found this thread. I have pink mold on my Stilton, and didn't know if I should be trying to get rid of it or not. I think after reading this the answer is no, just leave it. I pierced them today and the crumbles taste really good.

Tiarella, that is great about the cheese buyer. I would like to have someone taste the cheese and use words to describe the flavor that I could understand and use to improve. For example rancid, acidic, bitter I understand already. I would like to hear more words like moist, creamy, or perfect paste texture for this style, great blue flavor, or nice cheddar flavor. Even, it needs to age longer, or it needs a little more salt are good. I like it or, it's really good, is nice to hear, but I'd like better descriptions.

If he's a buyer and not a maker, he probably doesn't understand a lot about cultures, but he is experienced in the end result. I hope it's a good experience for you and in the end it either verifies that your cheese is wonderful, or helps to become wonderful.

I share with my friends, and some of them are good at flavor description and some of them just say it's good and that's it.

meyerandray

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »
Thought i would post some new pictures, taken today. I have pierced a second time, about 2 weeks ago, and am thinking of piercing a third time, to make sure I get lots of blue.
This one has a not blue at all smell emanating from it. The smell reminds me of a really stinky camembert, not ammonia at all though. I wonder if it is from the thermo ST blend that I used?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:55:05 PM by meyerandray »

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
Nice looking rind.  I'm hoping my Tomme turns out half so good looking.

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
yes, I agree - it looks really nice. If you find out regarding unpleasant smell, let me know as well pls. (its my issue also :( )

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:39:17 AM »
Celine, if you hadn't brushed off the thick blue layer do you think it would have held some of the stinky stuff at bay? 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
Very rustic rind. Nice pattern from that draining rack.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

meyerandray

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
I don't know if the early brushing was my invite for the stinky-ness, but I would like to clarify that it seems like an appealing stinky, like that stinky feet camembert smell, just not what I expect smell-wise from a blue. 
I was starting to be tempted to open her up early and taste, by my husband said no way, that we should stay the wait, and he is right.  Especially since I used the thermo ST blend for this one, which, if I have understood correctly, should do most of its work during aging, so I am going to wait until at least 60 days, maybe I will bring it with us on vacation in August :)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »
Aaah, then you should vacation here on our farm!   >:D  By all means, bring the cheese!  There's room for everybody!!!