Author Topic: Prison champagne  (Read 4097 times)

Hansadutta

Prison champagne
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:05:51 PM »
Not that I have ever been to prison but here is a recipe for champagne you could make in prison if you ever need one.
This recipe is for 10 litres which may be difficult to hide but that would be your problem.

Get 10 litres Frisfruit juice from Lidl. It is only 85 cents for 1,5 litres so that should not be a problem. (It contains 110 grams sugar/litre. It is made of concentrated grape/apple/lemon. You're in prison ok? Don't expect the real thing!)
Add:
700 grams sugar
32 grams Citric acid (Or lemon juice if that is easier to get)
Champagne yeast
tsp Yeast nutrition (just to keep the yeast happy. Maybe not even necessary)

Let this ferment until it stops. Now you have a white wine which has maximum 11% alcohol in it. Probably a little less due to evaporation.
You can drink this but if you have something to celebate sorry celebrate you can make it in to Prison champagne as follows:
Rack it into another 10 litre bottle in which you have put 250 grams sugar. You don't have to be very carefull because you would want to have some living yeast in there.
Immediately after racking clean your champagne bottles and fill them with your price. Make sure you close the bottles carefully or otherwise you will get a shower from the exploding corks. I have been there and it is not a nice way to wake up. Ha ha.
Store the bottles somewhere noone can find them for a few months and enjoy the results.
Que pictures.

Beginning and end.

Just after starting fermentation. Better than a lava lamp. Even better than most TV.

Fermenting in the ugly stage.

Bubbles in the glass.

Hansadutta

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:13:46 PM by Hansadutta »

beechercreature

Re: Prison champagne
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »
very much like the 'bum wine' i made this year from frozen juice concentrates. i like it!

Hansadutta

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »
I don't want to insult your wine but naming it like that... I definetely prefer the name Prison Champagen. AOC. (Lidl)

Anyway, do you think there are any things about the recipe that you would alter?

best regards
Hans

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
Do the bottle sediments stay at the bottom without stirring allowing to cleanly pour a clear sparkler?

Back 2 The Frotture

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:28:09 PM »
Is Lidl more "hard discount" than Netto?  You could better approach prison circumstances by adding toilet water.

beechercreature

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »

Anyway, do you think there are any things about the recipe that you would alter?

best regards
Hans

to make it more authentic? use old bread for the yeast and ferment it in a trash bag. But i'd stick to your current method, unless you really are in prison.  ;)

Hansadutta

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »
Hello again all. I have not been on the forum for a while. Sorry about that. Work can take so much precious time....

Dear Tomer,

The champagne yeast left in the bottle is pretty firm and stays at the bottom pretty well. (I store the bottles upright) Only a little bit is formed. The last 2 or 3 glasses will be a bit hazy but for me that's no problem. The taste and sparks are still fine. If you don't like it you can throw the last wine away.
I know that it is possible to get rid of the yeast but it seems like a lot of work.

Next time I will not use the plastic corks anymore because about 20% is leaking more or less. Which is also not a big problem because sparks will be left but the amount can be a bit disappointing.
Hans

beechercreature

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »
i use/re-use beer bottles for sparkling wines. just make sure they're reasonably thick glass if you like it really fizzy.

it's not as visually appealing as a champagne bottle, but i'm not that classy anyway. :)

Hansadutta

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »
When I first made sparkling wine I used bottles that I collected but I found that not all the bottles have the same diameter so this gave some trouble with the corks.
Now I am re using bottles that I have bought. And next time I will use beer caps to close them. You can buy them for champagne bottles as well.