Author Topic: 1st attempt camembert  (Read 1121 times)

timkrav

1st attempt camembert
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
hey guys! I will be trying my first camembert the following week. I have a couple of questions.

I see that some cheeses are runny and others look perfect, what are the possible causes of runny cheese?

I have been looking at camembert recipes and about 50% say - cut the curd and stir for 60 minutes and others say do not cut and do not stir. Does cutting and stirring affect the firmness of the cheese. Please advise, I am trying to make it firm and as close as possible on the first run.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: 1st attempt camembert
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »
when you cut and stir the curd you expel more whey, therefor you will be making a dryer firmer cheese.
when you just ladle the curd to the mold you are going to have a much more moist cheese
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »
Also, consider the amount of time you allow the curd to retain the whey before cutting...flocculation time. Larger floc values produce a moister cheese.

A floc factor of 2x for hard, drier cheese like Parmesan compared to 5x for a Reblochon, Camembert, or similar moist, soft or semi-soft cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

timkrav

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
thanks for your replies/ After more reading I think i will be pusuing the stabilized route. Trying to find more info right now. I see there are some posts on this board about stabilized cheeses, but they were never finished. if someone has info, it would be greatly appreciated.