Author Topic: My 4th Brie  (Read 10570 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 4th Brie
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 06:09:52 AM »
Hi,

Here's a picture of a slice of this now.  As you can see, it's gotten quite runny, and probably a bit too runny.  Taste is very good though, though the rind is a touch thick (from the slip skin early on).  Still, I'm pleased that the flavour is holding up and it's not getting ammoniated (yet; that will come).  I'm hoping to get this eaten up soon though, or it will go to waste.  Getting there with these bloomies, but not all the way yet.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »
I had a Taleggio look like that. It looks good...except for the runniness, of course. :(

Hang in there, Jeff. You'll solve it. When you do, please pass the word to me. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 06:44:31 PM »
Thanks Boofer!  I'm pretty sure the problem is all in the moisture of the curds going into the mould.  I need to get a bit more moisture expelled so the curds firm up a bit more.  The one I made that was not as heavy as the next two, and the extra weight is just water.  I'm sure that's it.  But I've been sure of many things that were wrong before, so only makes will tell.

- Jeff

Spellogue

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 02:35:39 AM »
Cheese dip, straight out of the rind!  I've had a number of them look like that, one  Colummier in particular comes to mind.   Incredibly tasty though.

That's some nice looking flatbread you're serving with it too.

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »
Thanks Spellogue.  Those are just a store bought cracker (the name of which I've forgotten at the moment).  They are very nice with cheese though!  And they work really well to scoop up this stuff.

- Jeff

timkrav

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 06:42:55 AM »
Jeff, what size was your form? I wonder how much curd settles to get it to 2.5cm

JeffHamm

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »
Hi timkrav,

It's a "half brie" mould, which is about 20 cm in diameter.  The curds from 5 litres fills it to the brim, then it settles down.  I think some of the books I've got call for 4 litres of milk in this mould, but I've had good results with 5.  Just need to stirr more to get things in the right zone moisture wise.

- Jeff