Author Topic: Zucchini!!  (Read 7992 times)

meyerandray

Zucchini!!
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Well it is yet again that time a year, when I risk divorce if I serve my husband zucchini one more time this week.  What am I supposed to do, we only planted 6 plants this year, and are already getting 2-4 a day per plant!  So, I am asking for some zucchini recipes and ideas.  To get the ball rolling, I will share a few of my uses, and eagerly await any and all contibutions from you all!

Pasta with zucchini and carrots:
cut zucchini (remove the seeds, this is much better with small zucchs) and carrots into matchsticks.
boil water for the pasta, add rock salt, put in the strainer.
while the pasta cooks, grate some parmigiano/pecorino whatever hard grating cheese you have ready in the cave, zest a lemon and tear up a little basil.
Throw in the pasta, about 5 minutes before the pasta is cooked (there should be a cook time in min. on the package) throw in the zucchini and carrots (this is to have crunchy veggies, give them more time if you like them more cooked)
Drain it all, toss well with extra virgin olive oil, your grated cheese, basil, lemon zest, and I throw two or three cloves of garlic cut in half in the mix too.  Serve warm.

Zucchini bread, no recipe because I usually look it up online, and don't make it very often.  I make a cream cheese frosting to put on top and call it a cake sometimes too:)

Zucchini parmigiana:
Instead of using eggplant, I use zucchini, in a few weeks, I will make it with both, because our eggplants will start coming in. 
thinly slice zucchini, dip in egg, then dip in breadcrumb/salt/pepper mix.  fry/sautee a couple of min. until limp.
Set on plate with paper towel.  When cool enough to handle, put in layers like lasagne, zucchini, tomato sauce (if using homemade cook it down a little if it is watery), mozzarella (optional) and grating cheese.  I don't use much cheese, this should remain light.  I freeze these, they are great in the winter when you don't have time to make dinner.

Cut it up and freeze it raw or blanched.

Zucchini and onions in carpione:
cut zucchini into about 2 inch long pieces, cut those pieces into 4 or 6, even 8 if it is a zucchini forgotten on the plant for a few days...
Cut the onions into rings, and cut the rings in half or 4 depending on how big the onion is.  My favorite is red onions from tropea, but I don't know how readily available those are for you.
sautee/fry (I say sautee/fry because when I sautee I use very very little oil and salt the veggies to let them cook a little in their own water, but here you need to put a decent amount of oil, not that they have to be covered by oil...which you will do next) them until cooked through, you don't want them limp or sad, and want to preserve a little crunch, but should definitely be cooked through.
Remove the zucchini, cook the onions-however much you want.  Put the cooked veggies, when cooled a bit in a tupperware or container, cover with e.v.o.o and vinegar. These will conserve for a while (I don't know how long because we eat it pretty quickly when I make it, but a week for sure), just make sure they are always covered by the oil and vinegar.

My mother-in-law also cans zucchini with tomato sauce, vinegar and tuna.  It is really good, I can ask her for the recipe if anyone is interested.

Ok, now your turn...please give me any creative use you have for zucchini!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Zucchini!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
My jaw dropped when you said you'd planted six plants!!!!!  We do about two plants because we wish to keep our sanity!!!   ;D. This year I planted my usual ones but just week also planted some seed for an heirloom variety that is the size and shape of a baseball with the idea it would be great for late season stuffed zukes.  You ARE creative with your zucchini and I don't have anything cool to add but I send my condolences on the plague of zukes.   ;). -Kathrin

Shazah

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:17:51 AM »
Zucchini Chocolate Cake
You're only regret will be that you'll want to make this even when zucchini are out of season.

125 gm butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup yoghurt (plain or fruit is OK)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups grated zucchini
1/2 - 1 cup small chocolate drops (recipe says optional, I say totally necessary)

Beat butter with the sugars until light and creamy. Do not hurry this step.
Add the eggs, one at a time, with a spoonful of the measured flour to prevent curdling.  Add the vanilla and yoghurt and mix well.
Sift the dry ingredients together.
Stir in, with the grated zucchini.
Turn into a prepared 25cm square pan, lined with baking paper.
Sprinkle surface with chocolate drops.
Bake at 170C for 45 minutes, or until centre feels firm and a skewer comes out clean.
Enjoy  :P

I've been making this cake for years and there is never any left when I take it for any occasion.
It's moist and especially delicious with a dollop of cream.
I hope you won't be put off converting the measurements and give this a try.  I highly recommend it.
Keep the recipe on hand if you take the cake anywhere because you'll get asked for it time and again.
I want to make one now, only they're not in season here  :-[

Cheers
Sharon

meyerandray

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:07:02 AM »
Yum!  Thanks for the recipe Sharon, I will definitely be giving that a try! 

BobE102330

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »
One of my favorites, I found it in "Beard on Bread" but it is also posted on epicurious.com  Later this year you can substitute cooked pumpkin and add cinnamon, ginger and cloves. 

Carl Goh's zucchini bread

Submitted by coffee1 | Updated: August 8, 2009

Ingredients
3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
2 c raw grated zucchini
3 t vanilla
3 c flour
1 t salt
1/4 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
3 t cinnamon
1 c coarsely chopped walnuts

Preparation

Beat eggs until light and foamy. Add sugar, oil, zucchini, vanilla, and mix lightly but well. Combine the flour, salt, soda, baking powder and cinnamon and add to egg/zucchini mixture. Stir well until blended. Add nuts and pour into 2 9X5X3 loaf pans. Bake 350 for 1 hour.
Cool on racks.

On the off chance you didn't realize the recipe didn't tell you to grease the pans before baking, it is required.  A heavy shot of cooking spray works, or butter lavishly.   ::)  You can also make smaller loaves adjusting the cooking time.  The usual spring back/ clean toothpick tests for done-ness apply.  This freezes well for several months.  Dust with powdered sugar and call it a cake...

Enjoy

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:32:56 PM »

My mother-in-law also cans zucchini with tomato sauce, vinegar and tuna.  It is really good, I can ask her for the recipe if anyone is interested.

Ok, now your turn...please give me any creative use you have for zucchini!

I would be very interested in the canned zucchini recipe , if you post it here , I will try it.

I grow a few every year and just slice them length wise in about 1/2 inch thick strips , brush with olive oil , top with a little salt pepper and garlic , and throw them an the grill for about a minute or so per side , they're great.

Make a few extra and when cold , they are great on sandwiches too.

Or...........take same grilled zukes , waz one or two up in a blender with one can of tomato paste , a couple of anchovy fillets , add 1/2 cup olive oil and your choice of seasonings , fry in hot pan for 2 minutes or so , use to dip your home made bread in , fantastic.

tnbquilt

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »
Make pizza on them. Slice them long ways, scoop out the seeds and cover with pizza toppings and cheese.

I was also shocked at 6 zucchini plants. That's a lot of zucchini.

meyerandray

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »
If I had it my way, we would plant two, but last year we had 12! We are 4 adults who eat from the garden, my hubby and me and the in-laws. My mother-in-law is from the post war era so high yield makes her happy, although she too risks a divorce in this season ;)
Looking for recipes in English online last year I found a reference to "national sneak some zucchini onto your neighbors' front porch day" which made me laugh.
Jim- I'll post that recipe tomorrow.
-celine

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 01:52:09 AM »
If I had it my way, we would plant two, but last year we had 12! We are 4 adults who eat from the garden, my hubby and me and the in-laws. My mother-in-law is from the post war era so high yield makes her happy, although she too risks a divorce in this season ;)
Looking for recipes in English online last year I found a reference to "national sneak some zucchini onto your neighbors' front porch day" which made me laugh.
Jim- I'll post that recipe tomorrow.
-celine

There are some small towns whose residents lock their cars during zucchini season just to avoid someone slipping some zukes onto the back seat when no one is looking.   >:D

shotski

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 12:31:12 AM »
One of my favorites, I found it in "Beard on Bread" but it is also posted on epicurious.com  Later this year you can substitute cooked pumpkin and add cinnamon, ginger and cloves. 

Carl Goh's zucchini bread

Submitted by coffee1 | Updated: August 8, 2009

Ingredients
3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
2 c raw grated zucchini
3 t vanilla
3 c flour
1 t salt
1/4 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
3 t cinnamon
1 c coarsely chopped walnuts

Preparation

Beat eggs until light and foamy. Add sugar, oil, zucchini, vanilla, and mix lightly but well. Combine the flour, salt, soda, baking powder and cinnamon and add to egg/zucchini mixture. Stir well until blended. Add nuts and pour into 2 9X5X3 loaf pans. Bake 350 for 1 hour.
Cool on racks.

On the off chance you didn't realize the recipe didn't tell you to grease the pans before baking, it is required.  A heavy shot of cooking spray works, or butter lavishly.   ::)  You can also make smaller loaves adjusting the cooking time.  The usual spring back/ clean toothpick tests for done-ness apply.  This freezes well for several months.  Dust with powdered sugar and call it a cake...

Enjoy

This is the same recipe I use turns out nice and moist. I make it with Walnuts for my wife but I like it with raisins. I also find that when the Zucchini are in season and there is far to much to use up, I grate the Zucchini and bag it in 2 cup (or sometimes 4 cups for a double batch) in zip lock bags and freeze it that way ready to be thawed and ready for use.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:24:09 AM by shotski »

shotski

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »
1) A easy side dish for supper is to slice the Zucchini into 1\2 inch pieces dip in egg and milk solution then in cornmeal with salt and pepper mixed in

fry until golden brown. I use high heat because I like crispy veggies (just heated) and I find that the Zucchini gets over cooked for my liking when

using low temperature.

2) We call them Zucchini Boats. Use medium size Zucchini about 12" long but before the seeds are over developed.

Cut the Zucchini in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and pulp leaving about 1\4" of wall on the inside of the skin. Microwave or bake until just

rubbery.  Now it is all up to your imagination, for breakfast we like dice onion, garlic give them a quick saute while that is on cube the Zucchini meat

into about 1\2" pieces, in a bowl beat about 4 eggs (use your judgment) add salt , pepper and any spices you like. We usually use fresh rosemary,

and oregano chives etc.  Toss the Zucchini cubs into the egg and then into the onions in the frying pan. When the egg is cooked scoop the mixture

into the warm Zucchini boats that should be on a cookie sheet. Place grated Colby cheese or what ever you like place under the broiler and melt

the cheese and heat the boat.

The supper ones are countless, I like fried ground lean ground beef with onion, garlic, cilantro and old El Paso Taco seasoning put in cubed Zucchini

to heat. Scoop the mixture into the warm Zucchini boats that should be on a cookie sheet. Place grated  old cheddar cheese or what ever you like

place under the broiler and melt the cheese and heat the boat. We have added kidney beans lentils just to mention a few.

Enjoy

Spellogue

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 05:49:15 AM »
Here is our favorite main course recipe for zucchini.  Years ago a girl at work named Crystal described this to me as and we customized it to fit our tastes.

Crystal's Zucchini

1 large or two medium zucchini cut into 1 inch dice (if very large, seed the zuke first)
1/2 lb. bacon
2 medium onions, diced
28 oz can tomatoes (crushed, or petite diced)
2 cups corn kernels (cut fresh from the cob is best, but frozen is fine too)
3/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp marjoram
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a Dutch Oven pot over medium heat.
Dice bacon and fry until just crispy. DO NOT DRAIN FAT.
Add onion and sauté until golden.
Add zucchini and sauté 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes and corn, stew for 20 minutes or so until corn and zucchini are just tender.
Add thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper and stew for 5 minutes more.
Serve hearty portions in large bowls.

Chrystal's family used to add parmesan cheese in the last 5 minutes, but we never do.  We will top with a home-crafted grating cheese if we have it on hand though.

I suppose if you must drain some of the bacon fat, you could, but by leaving it all in the dish is nicely emulsified and thickened.

We love it. I hope you do too.

I made some great zucchini-poppy seed relish in the past, slightly sweet, I'll look for the recipe. I hope for your sake and mine that I can find it.

meyerandray

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »
Sorry I didn't post this recipe last week, life has gotten pretty busy lately, and a bullying brat seems to have replaced my wonderfully delightful toddler...

The recipe for "antipasto of zucchini and tuna" (mother-in-law's recipe)
Ingredients:
1 kg zucchini
200gr tuna (here tuna is almost always in olive oil, but in the US I remember I always bought it in water, either way, drain it)
4 salted anchovies (washed, boned etc.  We use lots of anchovies here, the best way to clean them is to soak them briefly (couple of minutes) in water with a splash of vinegar.  Open them on the backs to split open and de-bone, rinse very well)  Anchovies in olive oil would be fine too I think, just remember that because they are already cleaned, one filet is the equivalent to 1/2 anchovy.
1 bottle of "rubra" (1 bottle would be 1/2 liter, and rubra is essentially homemade ketchup.  We make it with tomato, red bell pepper, vinegar, sugar and spices, to be honest I think store-bought ketchup might be too thick and too sweet to sub here, maybe you could do a little tomato puree and a little ketchup??)
1 glass (I guess try a US cup?) mild extra virgin olive oil
1 cup (?) white wine vinegar
1 spoon (US Tblsp?) sugar
salt to taste

Cut zucchini in cubes.  Put all ingredients in your pot, bring to boil.  Cook 25/35 min (checking the zucchini for doneness, you want them to be cooked, but retain texture and a little crunch)
Put into jars while hot (sterilized), close the tops, flip topside down for about 5-10 minutes, turn right-side up and put jars in a blanket.  Put in cool, dark place.

As far as shotski's zucchini boats, we make those a lot too :)  Last night I made them with some of the zucchini that was removed, cooked eggplant pulp, tomato, capers, anchovies and spicy pepper.
My mother-in-law makes them with ricotta and ham (I don't really love them that way). 

A couple of nights ago I made pasta alla carbonara and threw some zucchini in there, my husband LOVES carbonara, so it was a good compromise.

Spellogue, I might try that recipe tonight, I have some pancetta in the fridge, although my marjoram plant died, but I will try it with just thyme :)

jwalker

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »
Thanks for that recipe , I just love antipasto of any kind.

I always have canned anchovies and anchovy paste on hand , I love the stuff !

I must have been Italian in my past life.

Only now , I need a recipe for Rubra. ;)

I will search the net.

Thanks again , Jim.

meyerandray

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
I will ask my mother-in-law for her rubra recipe.  If you are an anchovy fan, I better post you our regional recipes for acciughe al verde and acciughe al rosso (red ad green sauce for anchovies). 

This winter I will also give you a recipe for bagna cauda...I promise you will love it!