Author Topic: Citric Acid vs. Lemon Juice  (Read 5466 times)

Sunshinegoat

Citric Acid vs. Lemon Juice
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »
Hi all!
 I have a question about Mozzarella...I got my recipe from and old cow farmer years ago. The recipe calls for 1/4c of lemon juice and 1/4 tsp liquid rennet to 1 gallon of milk.
 I recently purchased a cheese making book specifically for goats milk (I have a small herd of dairy goats) and her recipe calls for citric acid.
 I was wondering what the conversion would be if I used citric acid in my recipe instead of the lemon juice. I have never used it before but hear it makes your cheese stretchier...Mine has been coming out quite stiff a few times and I would like to try this.
 My recipe is simple and I am used to it so if I can get it to work that would be great!

Does anyone know what 1/4 c lemon juice would be equivalent to if I used the citric acid?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Citric Acid vs. Lemon Juice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »
Lemons vary in size and acidity so there is no exact conversion. Just use the recipe in your book or search the Forum.

Dibbs

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:50:18 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid

Wikipedia claims up to about 47g/L in lemon juice so I reckon 1/4c lemon juice could contain approx 2.8g

Sunshinegoat

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:12:54 PM »
Thanks..I guess I should have said that I use the lemon juice from the store (not from real lemons)
 I have been searching the internet and havent been able to find a conversion yet..but lots of people asking my same question ;) Ill keep looking... Thanks for the help!

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:05:57 PM »
Covered before in a few thread. 1/4 cup is a little over a teaspoon. somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5 tsp, depending on the lemons.

Sunshinegoat

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »
Awesome! Thank you :D I will give it a go!