Author Topic: Kashkaval Cheese Making Recipe?  (Read 26927 times)

giacommo

Kashkaval Cheese Making Recipe?
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:13:32 AM »
does anyone have a recipe for making the Greek Kashkaval cheese.
your answer will be appreciated.

Cheese Head

Re: Kashkaval Cheese Making Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »
giacommo

Hope you don't mind but I just moved your post to this Board as I thought you'd get more response :).

Sorry, I don't have a recipe but I did a little desktop research:

Turkish Cheese Maker Sutdanismani's video of making Kashkaval:
http://www.sutdanismani.com/Ka%FEar-Peyniri-%DCretimi.php

Lebanese Alwadi Brand TV advert for Kashkaval:

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »
Also, just talked with Turkish descent friend of mine here at work in Houston, she says:
  • Kashkaval is very popular in Turkey, Greece, Hungary, and Bulgaria.
  • Doesn't think it's a mozzerella type cheese.
  • Prefers her's older - aged almost parmesan like and if want can grate into foods.
  • It doesn't melt well.
  • The Sutdanismani's video above says in Turkish that it is Kashkaval making directions/method.

giacommo

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »
Thanks for you efforts.
Kashkaval is definately not a mozarella like cheese. It is more like a Chedar.
and it is widely spread in Turkey, Greece.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »
Agreed, not a mozzarella type cheese, happy to help :).

I just reread the Google book scan above and it calls Kashkaval a Pasta Filata Type cheese as hot water treated which I also see in the video from Turkish manufacture linked above. So I think this board is the right place for this cheese.

Hope you post recipe and results in this forum if you decide to build a recipe from this info and make this cheese.

giacommo

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 04:34:06 AM »
I guess I will wait for some more answers. The information I've got so far is not enough for making this cheese, I'm afraid.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 01:16:36 PM »
I was in local Eastern Mediteranean Grocery Store in West Houston USA and took these pictures of Kashkaval cheeses . . .

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:24:09 AM »
Apparently is is made similarly to a pasta fileta cheese but is cheddared

Traditional Caciocavallo and Kashkaval by Peter Dixson

Ingredients:
1/4 tsp EZAL TA062 + 1U EZAL LB100
single strength rennet
Liapse

Heat the raw milk to 93-94° F.
Add starter culture:
Add lipase powder
After 30 minutes add  rennet
Add rennet watch for coagulation and use 3 for flocculation multiplier for curd cutting.
Cut the curds into particles the size of corn kernels. Rest the curds for 5 min..
Begin heating, while stirring the curds and whey, steadily to 95-9° F in 10 minutes.
Continue heating to 104-108° F in 20 minutes. Total heating time is 30 min..
Settle the curds under the whey for 5-10 minutes. Rake curds to the back of the vat and drain off the whey. Keep the curds in a pack, then slice into cakes and place in basket forms. Make Ricotta cheese from the whey. Place the baskets of curd in the vat and pour in the hot whey from Ricotta making so that the curd is covered. Let sit for 2 hours until curd is pH 5.6-5.7. Drain off the whey and let the curd sit in the baskets or wrapped in cheesecloth overnight in a cool room. If it is warm in the cheese room the curd can be moved to the cooler overnight to prevent over acidification.
The next morning the curd should be ready to stretch into shapes.
The curd should be pH 5.2-5.3
Do a “stretch test” to determine this. Trim off a few small pieces of curd and immerse them in 170° F water for a few minutes. After kneading them together, you should be able to pull the curd into a shiny string. If the curd is not ready it can be warmed up to renew the bacterial growth and lower the pH.
Follow the procedure for stretching and molding the curds into shapes. Cut the curd cakes into thin strips, place in hot water and, after a few minutes begin pushing the curds together. The water should be 165-170°F. 
When the curds are sticking together, roll them and gently knead them together to form a homogeneous mass. Sprinkle in a small amount of salt as you are doing this. When the surface is smooth and shiny, transfer the curd to a form.
After molding, the hot curd is placed into a form and pinched off so as to leave no openings. For Kashkaval, holes are are made in the top of the curd so that air is released. Kashkaval is typically made in a 12 lb. wheel. Caciocavallo cheeses are usually molded into teardrop, bell, pear and gourd shapes; Ragusano (a form of Caciocavallo from Sicily is made in a 30 lb. rectangular shape the size of a curbstone). Caciocavallo cheeses are chilled in cold water to hold their shape. The Ragusano and Kashkaval curd rests in a form until the following day and is turned 3 or 4 times during the afternoon.
Caciocavallo and Ragusano cheeses are brined in a 23-24 % salt (saturated) brine at the rate of 4 hours per pound.

Kashkaval is dry salted over a period of 20 days in the following manner:
1. Wheels are salted on both sides and placed on wooden shelves
2. After 2 days the wheels are wiped dry and salted again and stacked one on top of another. The process is repeated.
3. The process is repeated but the wheels are stacked 3 high during the next 4 days
4. Repeat the process but stack 4 high
5. Repeat the process but stack 5 high
6. The stacks of wheels are left 5 high for 20 more days without additional salting
7. The wheels are now taken from the stacks and cleaned and stacked again
8. This is repeated every week until the aging is complete
The cheese is aged for at least five months with a natural rind in a cool environment: 57-60° F with 80-85% RH.
The Caciocavallo cheeses are cleaned periodically and can be rubbed with olive oil. These cheeses are usually hung from cords in the aging room.
During aging, Kaskkaval is periodically placed on boards in the sun when the temperature is 50-70° F to give it a rich yellow color. One Macedonian cheesemaker did this on the roof of the aging building. Other cheesemakers cleaned the cheese and only placed it in the sun to yellow for a day or two prior to sale.

home-cheese

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:26:38 AM »
fantastic recipe
thanks.

hila
home-cheese

Tropit

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:56:40 PM »
Maybe I missed it...what type of milk does this recipe use?  Cow's?

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:39:50 PM »
It is made with sheep's milk in Turkey but commercialization moved to a mixture of sheep and cow or just cow these days.

There are some cheeseries which ages kashkaval for more than a year and they use only sheep's milk because of its keeping properties and fat levels.

Thanks for the recipe Debi, It is one of those recipes I always wanted to try but do not have that much of time... One day...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 02:24:19 AM »
I believe in this recipe he uses cows milk.

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 03:42:44 AM »
Attached Kashkaval (Bulgarian Type) Cheese Making Guidelines from global Culture Manufacturer CHR Hansen were emailed in by member Hila Shefer of Israelly based www.Home-Cheese.com.

Thanks Hila!

mkaytanli

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 11:56:48 AM »
Hi Dear Cheese lovers,

Thank you very much nice commets about "Kaskaval cheese video " in my www.sutdanismani.com website.It is not a commercial website.  Kaskaval cheese is accutally orginated from Bulgaria. İf you want more info about kashkaval cheese. Please write me.....do not hesitate....

Regards,

Dr. Mert Kaytanlı-Milk consutant
www.sutdanismani.com[/color]]www.sutdanismani.com
mail: mkaytanli@gmail.com
      :mertkaytanli@sutdanismani.com
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:22:35 PM by mkaytanli »

Cheese Head

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »
Thanks Dr. M K., happy to have you here.