Author Topic: Roasted Garlic Gouda  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Roasted Garlic Gouda
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
Yesterday I decided to try to achieve a little better garlic flavor in a Gouda. I followed Pav's "Gouda: Washed Curd Howto" in my 74th cheese make.

Initial milk pH: 6.82

3 gallons Twin Brooks whole creamline milk
1/2 gallon Twin Brooks 1% creamline milk (I was going to drink this but instead decided to add it to this make.)
8 cubes Kazu mother culture
1/2 tsp CACL
1/16 tsp Renco dry calf rennet

I roasted three heads of garlic for 1 hour, let them cool, and then separated the garlic from the skins and hard pieces. I mashed the garlic into a somewhat smooth, slightly chunky paste, covered it, and set it aside.

I renneted at pH 6.71 (.1 delta) and used a floc factor of 3. It floc'd in 15 minutes and I cut the curds in 30 more minutes.

Resting, stirring I was looking for the pH to drop. Because it started so high, it took a while to drop. I drained whey for whey-brine and pressing under whey, and then added my 130F water, stirring.

When it came time to add the garlic paste to the curds, I packed one prepared Kadova mould first as a garlic-free cheese. Then I proceeded to mix in the garlic, milling the curds and garlic together. I packed the other three moulds and laid a cutting board on top of all four as a "spreader". Then I placed a 10 pound barbell weight on the cutting board. This served as the first pressing. I then put the garlic-free mould into a pot with warm whey and pressed with a 5 pound weight. The garlic moulds went into another pot with warm whey and I placed a 10 pound weight on top of all three. It wasn't too long, while I was flipping the cheeses in the moulds, that I realized two of the moulds were not being pressed and achieving a clean knit. The Kadova mould lids will stop at a "shoulder" when pressed if there aren't enough curds in the mould. This was happening with these two moulds.

It took me a while to realize I could fix this problem and possibly achieve a smooth knit. That fix came in the form of folded muslin, dipped in warm whey, and used as a buffer for the mould lid to push against. Once again I was pressing under whey. I flipped and pressed multiple times. Later, I removed the whey and continued flipping and pressing. The results were not perfect, but far better than what I was seeing previously.

I brined the little pillows for 2 hours, then air-dried them for six hours at room temperature. When I went to bed, I moved the minicave that they were in to the 53F cave. They will continue to dry in there for several days and then they will be vacuum-sealed.

Fingers crossed. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

Re: Roasted Garlic Gouda
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »
Looks interesting.  Will be keeping an eye on this Boofer. 

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »
That looks great!  And a cheese to you for such luscious garlic photos! 

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:25:18 PM »
Looks very nice! I am drooling a bit at the thought...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:37 AM »
Thanks, guys. This is a big question mark for me. Dried herbs is one thing and those have been fairly good to me, but moist fruits & vegetables have not been my friends.

Eh, nothing ventured nothing gained.... ::)

When I flipped the cheese bellies over tonight they were fairly dry. Maybe another day in the cave and then it's vacuum sealing time.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:30:43 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:54:19 PM »
And now for a little aging....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

hoeklijn

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:52:13 AM »
Nice experiment Boofer! One of my favorites is Gouda with dried garlic and I never tried this one.
One of these days.....

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »
A little early, but had family over for a birthday so I cut into this. Very nice. One family member really liked it over Saint Paulin, Horseradish Cheddar, and Beaufort #5.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

John@PC

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »
We love garlic (and cheese, of course) so I'm thinking about doing this one as I don't have a gouda right now.  I'm still curious about aging in vacuum bags vs. wax.  I would think wax is more air permeable and therefore have an advantage over vacuum bagging with a relatively impermeable plastic.  Just wondering if you've done a direct comparison or have any data (either quantitative and/or qualitative taste based)?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »
Just wondering if you've done a direct comparison or have any data (either quantitative and/or qualitative taste based)?
Short answer...no.

I'm not trying for a natural rind here. I don't have any experience for a Gouda that has been aged out to a year or so. The plastic seems to deliver the quality of cheese for this style that I'm looking for.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

tnbquilt

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
I made gouda on Saturday.

I made a 4 gallon batch with mustard seeds. I saw Herman's post where he used 8 tsp of seeds and said his was a little too mustardy, so I looked in Tim Smith's book and he used 2 tsp seed for 2 gallons of milk, so I used 2 tsp of yellow and 2 tsp of brown seeds for 4 gallons of milk. I also made a 4 gallon plain gouda which I plan on smoking later.

I did the exact same thing last weekend, but I was concerned that I under pressed them, so I made them again this weekend and pressed them harder.

If I had seen this post before Saturday I would have put garlic in the plain one. Maybe I need to make another one.......

I used the same recipe off of that site as well. I've seen several comments about it so I tried it.

Last weekend I pressed the gouda like the Caldwell book says to press gouda, and this weekend I pressed it like the recipe on the internet said to press it. I should have done that to begin with.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »
I did the exact same thing last weekend, but I was concerned that I under pressed them, so I made them again this weekend and pressed them harder.
How hard did you press them?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

tnbquilt

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »
I made 6" wheels, and I pressed them at 50lbs. But then I looked back at the recipe that was on the website and it gave a PSI to press at, and I checked the PSI against my mold size and it should have been a little over 100lbs.

So now I have (4) 4gallon Gouda's in the cave, (2) with mustard seed and (2) without. We'll see which one I like the best in 4 months or so.