Author Topic: Want induction but not new pans? Try this.  (Read 2528 times)

Slemps

Want induction but not new pans? Try this.
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »
Hi All,

While investigating an induction hob I came across this little beauty:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Induction-Converter-Diffuser-Andrew-James/dp/B00CAS9FMO/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1373537475&sr=8-13&keywords=single+induction+hob

Apparently this means you can use any pan on your induction hob. Anyone tried it? It seems like a fantastic little solution to me!

I was looking to find an induction hob that turns on with a manual switch rather than a touch pad or similar. Then I can use a remote socket, and heat to the temperature I want using my Ninja Block and rules (similar to to PID but much more powerful).

Anyone seen any like that? All the ones I have found turn on digitally somehow.

Sam.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Want induction but not new pans? Try this.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
Using a metal plate between the induction cooker and a non-induction pan means that the plate itself becomes a regular heating element. Since the magnetic field is not flowing thru the actual pan, the heat comes from only the bottom and you lose all the benefits of induction cooking.

Slemps

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »
Oh I see. So the induction method heats up the whole pan?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
With induction, a magnetic field flows thru the entire pan. That's why pans have to be magnetic.

Slemps

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Right gotcha.

Induction pan it is then.

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
Still , it looks very handy for use as a heat diffuser , for heating milk in one of those thin stainless steel stock pots , instead of a double boiler.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »
Still , it looks very handy for use as a heat diffuser , for heating milk in one of those thin stainless steel stock pots , instead of a double boiler.

When making yoghurt I found a saucepan was too hot for making yoghurt and found I could lose some of the heat by placing a large cast iron frypan on the induction stove with the saucepan in it and the temp was perfect.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...