Author Topic: Can Slimy Feta Be Saved?  (Read 3798 times)

caithd

Can Slimy Feta Be Saved?
« on: July 13, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »
Just checked a batch of feta and noticed it has become slimy during aging. CaCl was added to the brine (about 10%) but we realized we didn't check the pH of the brine (usually would adjust with white vinegar if necessary).

We are using Peter Dixon's Greek Feta recipe and making approximately 40 gallon batches using raw sheep's milk. The fetas seem fine after brining in 20% but went soft in the 10% + CaCl. These fetas would be stored in the 10% brine for 60 days.

The question is, can this batch be saved? I am on my way back to check the pH of the brine to see if this may be the problem and will go ahead and add vinegar if necessary. Anything that could be done to improve the surface texture of this batch?

linuxboy

Re: Can Slimy Feta Be Saved?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:49:39 PM »
Depends on the cause. If it's due to proteolytic halotolerant lactobacilli, bit harder with following remedy. If it's due to calcium leaching, soaking in a saturated CaCl2 solution (adjusted for pH) should help.

[edit]Do a test with a small piece first to figure out the soak schedule.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:56:01 PM by linuxboy »

caithd

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 11:31:25 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply...I am fairly certain this is a calcium issue. Tested the pH and it was okay. What constitutes a saturated solution of Calcium Chloride?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 01:26:48 AM »
30-32% solution is saturated. Basically, get some CaCl2 powder and make up a batch (it heats up water so be careful). Then see if a soak will firm it up. Shouldn't need a long soak. The high concentration will "shock" the outer surface. Huge ionic differential, so it will firm up the casein.

caithd

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:09:19 AM »
We only have diluted Calcium Chloride in liquid form. Need to double check the strength in the morning but I will do a little more research on saturated solutions too. Thanks again!

Alternatively, the pH of all of the batch (halved in two buckets) was within the range of 4.8-5.2 idea for aging feta. BUT we didn't add vinegar to this brine. We brined the fetas in saturated salt solution of around 20-23% (sea salt + water) for 24 hours and then cut this in half to make the storage solution. No vinegar was added, and when I checked the pH was okay - forgot to check initially when going into the storage brine hence the issue. So I'm wondering if the pH has come to the "ideal" level as things settled/equalized between the cheese and the brine but at the sake of the texture of the cheese? Hmm...

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 07:01:44 AM »
Need to double check the strength in the morning
that's saturated solution, or close to it if you bought it from any supplier. Using cacl2 powder to make a batch is cheaper, that's why I suggested it, in case you had some available.
So I'm wondering if the pH has come to the "ideal" level as things settled/equalized between the cheese and the brine but at the sake of the texture of the cheese? Hmm...
Possible.

Goodpastries

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »
I'm having the same problem!  Using an 8% brine, thought ph was good, brine is a mix of whey and water.  Did the CaCl work?