Author Topic: Raw Goat Caerphilly  (Read 4313 times)

Smurfmacaw

Raw Goat Caerphilly
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
Since I have a nice source of raw goats milk for a reasonable price (less than half what I can get raw cow's milk for) I decided to make another caerphilly so I can try the cheeses side by side to compare how the different milks make the cheese taste.

3 gal raw goats milk pH 6.82
1 cup MA 4002 mother culture
1/8 tsp LBC 80
25 drops single strength calf rennet (the raw goats milk coagulates really fast!)

Heated to 89 degrees
Added mother culture and LBC 80 Also added just a smidgeon of mycodore since I just got it and wanted to see what it does.
let ripen 30 minutes
pH 6.7 added rennet
floc at 9 minutes (wow! I used 1/3 less and it still flocc'd super fast)
cut in 1/2 cubes at 32 minutes
let heal 10 minutes
Heat to 93 over ten minutes
stir 40 minutes
drained and pressed with one gallon jug for 15 minutes
cut and cheddared, flip three time at 10 minutes each flip
final pH 5.2
Milled and added 1-1/2 TBSP salt
rested (mellowed) for 10 minutes
added 2 TBSP salt then put in mold
pressed under warm why 15 minutes at 5 pounds
Flipped and pressed under warm whey 30 min at 15 pounds
Flipped and pressed at 75 pounds 1 hour.
Nest will be 250 pounds for 2 hours and then 350-400 pounds over night.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:27:40 PM by Smurfmacaw »

Smurfmacaw

Re: Raw Goat Caerphilly - pics
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 03:14:42 AM »
Ok, here's the pics.  even though i used vinegar on the cloth it stuck pretty good.  Don't know if this is a goat thing or what.  The pH at press was 5.3 so it really shouldn't have stuck.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Raw Goat Caerphilly
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:27:37 AM »
I've only ever used goat milk with no sticking but I wet the cloth in whey.  vinegar seems a bit strong for that to me but hey, what do I know?    ;D. I bet others here have more to say about this. 

I'm psyched you're trying goat cheese and Mycodore.  Would you be willing to try a tomme using Mycodore and go all natural on the rind?  I want to do some more of those although I really need more aging space to be able to do that.  I'm very curious about how your current rind does.  Will you brush it?  Wash it?  Etc?  Please keep photographing the rind as it developes because I'd like to see if it goes the way mine did.  I want to do a bunch of myco-tommes and wash some in straight cider vinegar repeatedly.    ;)

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 02:58:59 PM »
I was kind of surprised this one wanted to stick.  The pH was where I expected it to be and I did actually soak the cheese cloth in whey from the make.  On others, if that didn't work then I resort to acidifying the cloth with a touch of vinegar and even that didn't work so well.  Oh well, that is why it's fun.  I'm curious to see what the rind is going to look like with the mycodore.  I just wanted something other than the endemic wild blues I seem to get if the cheese doesn't have something already growing on it.  The Tomme with PLA is doing just fine and between the B. Linens and GC seems to be fighting off all invaders successfully. 

The biggest surprise though was the renneting rate....I used a third less rennet and it still set in less than ten minutes.  I guess I'll cut it down to 5 drops per gallon......think of all the money I'll save!  ::)

I'm going to just let the rind do it's thing with occasional brushing to keep things under control.  I wouldn't mind doing another Tomme or two.  I really want to do another Mutschli and wash it properly.   So many cheeses, so little time.

Spellogue

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »
I get very fast floc times with my raw goat milk too.  I've cut back on rennet and still, fast floc times.  I use powdered calf rennet at a rate of  < 1/16 tsp: 2 US gal.  Flocs often range between 6- 11 minutes lately.  On some future makes I'm going to cut back or eliminate pre-rennet ripening and see if that lengthens floculation.  I've had good results cheeses with no culture added to the raw milk, but haven't done any since I started the using the floc method.

I made one goat Caerphilly so far.  I liked it a lot.  I waxed and aged it for a few months since I had a lot of bloomies to eat at the time. It was pretty sharp.  I'd like to do another Caerphilly as a short aged cheese, but like you've mentioned there are quite a few more ahead of it in my pipeline.  Caerphilly is such a flexible cheese, adaptable to so many rind treatments and variations, I can understand why it is Jeff's (and perhaps one of Kathrin's) favorite.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »
I put it in the cave yesterday.  It had some kind of hairy looking mold growing.  It's not dark so hopefully it's not the dreaded french cat hair.  It's pure white.  Anyone know what the Mycodore looks like when it's just starting out.  I rubbed the mold fibers off last night and they didn't seem to have come back by this morning.  It does seem to be getting some whitish spots though it's hard to tell since the goat milk comes out so white.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »
ycodore looks like when it's just starting out.
Cross between snow/powdered sugar and felt. Like p candidum in a way, but not quite with such a mat.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »
Thanks Linuxboy,

I'll keep the hairy stuff under control until the mycodore comes in as it already seems to be doing.  Is it dominant enough to keep others at bay once it's established?

Spellogue

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »
What impact/end result does mycodore have on the cheese and why is it used?  I have no experience with it, I'm curious.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:08:30 AM »
I wet the cloth in whey.  vinegar seems a bit strong for that to me but hey, what do I know?    ;D. I bet others here have more to say about this. 
Here's another doc from a while back....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 11:21:27 PM »
Ill give Sailor's spray a try next time.  I made a mutschli today that stuck so bad it basically destroyed the cheese completely.  I soaked the cloth in the brine from the cheese and the first press was a minor disaster....I put vinegar on the next one with new cheese cloth and it tore out chunks.  Tried again without pressing in brine and it was a total disaster.  Basically had to throw it away which is a shame since it was such nice goat's milk and a complete waste of a day.  I even had one stick with synthetic cloth.

I'm getting really frustrated with the sticking, the last couple of makes have had real issues.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »
Just wanted to give a quick picture of how the rind turned out on this one.  The mycodore isn't as "felty" as I thought it would be but it still looks pretty cool.  Not sure when I'm going to cut it.....I've actually got plenty of cheese to eat at the moment so I may just let this one go a couple more weeks.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
You could let it go months if you want to.  I'm going to do a Mycodore tomme and wash in cider whenever it gets felty.  Did a little of that on one and it was great.....made me wish I'd done more!   :D

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 03:57:38 AM »
That looks great.  A cheese to you.  Looking forward to hearing how this turns out when you finally cut into it. 

- Jeff

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »
I was hungry this morning and decided on some brain food before I start my Quantitative Analysis homework so I cut open the Goat Caerphilly.

It's just shy of three months in age. 

Texture is really nice, firm and flexible but it still fractures nicely.  There are some mechanical openings in the paste but overall a great knit.  There is no evidence of breaking along the curd lines.  I'm super happy with the texture on this one.  Not sure if it's the make or if it's the extra aging.

The taste is superb. It has a smooth cheddar bite on the back of the tongue without being bitter.  I think I'd call it nutty/savory really as opposed to the normal Caerphilly sourish bite.  The salt is spot on, I'm always amazed that they don't taste saltier considering the amount of salt in a Caerphilly.  Really adds to the flavors.  There is a lot going on in this cheese.

I think the extra aging has significantly mellowed the taste of this cheese and in the future I think it's more than worth the extra effort to age it out a bit, it really mellows the cheese and it tastes like it's aged a lot longer than it is.  As far as the goat milk goes, it doesn't scream goat at you.  If I didn't know, I'd be hard pressed to tell you it's made from goat's milk.  One of these days when I get some time between quarters I may try to make a cow and goat version at the same time to have a real comparison.  I hate to pat myself on the back but this one came out as good as any cheese I've bought.  Oh yeah, it melts great too.

This one came out every bit as good or better than artisan examples I've paid $20/pound for.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:31:16 AM by Smurfmacaw »