Author Topic: My first Faisselle  (Read 1836 times)

Spellogue

My first Faisselle
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:20:10 AM »

Being busy lately, I've been making simple. easy fresh cheeses to use up with the milk supply.  Wanting to make something oher than chèvre I remembered his description of faisselle in Brad Kessler's book, Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese.   it is a wonderful cheese.   This is what I did:

CA136h.   6/21/13  faiselle
  2 quart refrigerated goat milk.
Bring to 70 F
  pinch  meso 101
  12 drops 1/128 tsp calf rennet in 1/4 c water
Culture for 18 hrs
  Transfer curd to 4 chèvre cup molds set in a baking dish Drain 6-18 hrs. Allowing to sit in whey.  Set molds in individual containers that will hold whey up around cheese, pour drained whey over cheese and refrigerate.  Eat within 3 days.

I imagine it would be great with cows milk too.  There are basic recipes for faisselles in 200 EHC. The variations abound.  As good as this one is I'll try some with less coagulation time too to see if I get an even creamier texture.

Here are some pics including serving it with a drizzle of honey and atop some mascerated bing cherries.

hoeklijn

Re: My first Faisselle
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 05:50:56 AM »
Sounds great and easy to make. I'm planning to make goat feta but I think I'll reserve some milk to try this as well...

Spellogue

Re: My first Faisselle
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
I hope you will try it, Herman, and tells us how your faisselle turns out too.

It was an easy make.  I think I'll do it often. Not much trouble to have a small pot off to the side while making another cheese.  And they're ready to eat within a dayor so. 

I ate the last one with some gooseberry preserves yesterday morning, still very mild, delicious.