Aging Temperature

Started by girlsrockmovie, February 26, 2009, 12:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

girlsrockmovie

Hello all...I'm a beginner, have a gouda and a Manchego aging. I have a choice between a mini fridge that I can get no higher than 45 degrees, and a pantry that's usually about 62-65 degrees. I've got them in the fridge right now, with a bowl of water on the bottom shelf. I tried doing the gouda in the pantry, but had some occasional mold show up which I promptly wiped off. Question is, which is the better imperfect temperature? The lower one of the fridge (which will probably be more constant too, or the higher of the pantry?

Thanks...

Likesspace

Girlsrockmovie.....
First of all, welcome to the forum. This is a great site with tons of great infomation and people.
As for your question, I would go with the lower temp fridge.
I'm certainly not an expert on this subject, but in my opinion it is much better to age a cheese more slowly, in a cooler environment.
I use wine coolers as my cave and they usually stay between 48 and 50 degrees.
All of my cheeses age wonderfully at these temperatures. My problem is that the humidity is always low in the wine coolers but I'm working on that as well.
Hopefully some of the more advanced members will chime in on this subject.
One member, Carteriusm, has done extensive research in the areas of aging temps and humidity control.
Hope this helps and again....glad to have you aboard.

Dave

girlsrockmovie

Thanks!

in that case, I'm gonna stick with the fridge for now, especially since I've struggled a bit with what I think is mold...I found out about a device on another forum that you can plug your fridge through, and it'll help you lower the temperature too...

Cartierusm

Do you have a hygrometer in either place, because usually a bowl of water does nothing. It has to have a wick try laying paper towels half in half out, after a few minutes they will absorb water and that will allow more humidity to come out.

I would pick up what you talked about it's called a Electronic Temp Control ETC and it will allow you to set your mini frig to whatever temp you want.

girlsrockmovie

awesome, thanks for the wick idea...don't have a hygrometer yet, waiting for it to arrive. Was too excited to make cheese, couldn't wait!

Mary Ruth

I have a dorm fridge and was concerned about the same thing so thanks for thread and theres Carter again! :D

Cartierusm

girlsrockmovie

Got a couple bowls of water with napkin wicks, hygrometer and also a thermostat to get my dorm fridge to 55 degrees. Humidity is at 80ish now...close enough?

Thanks again for the advice.