Author Topic: Smoked Paprika Caerphilly #2  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Smoked Paprika Caerphilly #2
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »
Beautiful rind Tiarella. How long did you age the one that is cut in the picture?

Hi Chris,

Not sure whether my notes are clear enough.....this cheese got rather lost with no label.  I think it was a Caerphilly made in last days of August, then the paprika/oil mix applied not until 10/8 and cut open at 11/18.  The last two dates I'm sure of.  The first one I'm not.  This latest one I've done got the paprika put on immediately after drying.  Join the experiment!   :D

gjfarm

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »
Have some fresh made caerphilly drying at the moment.  I recently purchased some nice fresh smoked paprika, and rather than waxing this cheese, I'm going to go the paprika, olive oil route.  Have seen some posts about aging the cheese a few weeks first and well as applying directly after drying.  What about putting the paste on and then vacumm sealing to age?  This would be such a great looking cheese for the holidays.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
Not sure about the vacuum pack idea but maybe someone else has tried it?  maybe Mike Richards?  You could also use coconut oil instead of olive oil if you want.  The one I did that way looked like aged leather after a while and it was beautifully tasty also.

mjr522

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
I've only vacuumed coated cheeses after cutting into them--never right after the paste was applied.  The paprika with olive oil isthe most interesting of the different coated cheeses I've vacuumed...I haven't opened it yet, though, so I don't know how vacuuming will affect it.

[img width= height= alt=vacuumed paprika and olive oil coated cheese]https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/960043_425635410895238_1244626004_n.jpg[/img]
[img width= height= alt=vacuumed paprika and olive oil coated cheese]https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1471262_425635407561905_1001595410_n.jpg[/img]

Spoons

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 08:18:33 PM »
That looks great--I'll have to try it!  Thanks for the idea.

Ooh, I hope you do try it!!  I'd love to see how it works for other people.  I did about three Tablespoons of smoked paprika with just enough olive oil to make a mud-like paste.  it's still drying at a quite warm room temp in a box with the lid quite ajar.   :). It scents my whole office!

I'm in late on this thread. I don't have a cave yet, it's my next purchase. I'll make a few regular cearphillys to get me going into aged cheeses, but this smoked paprika cearphilly is definitely my first experimentation! It looks real good! Nice job Tiarella!!!