Author Topic: Press question....  (Read 2512 times)

Fabiola

Press question....
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I recently bought this press http://stores.cheeseconnection.net/-strse-370/Cheese-Press-1B/Detail.bok
and I am planning to make some cheese but the diameter of the press is about 6 inch, and I would like to make a larger cheese, I understand that after pressing the cheese, it becomes hard and cannot be placed in a larger mould, is this true? If so what can I do to make bigger cheese? my moulds are bout 12 in diameter and I would like to make this size of cheesses...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:53:29 PM by Fabiola »

bbracken677

Re: Press question....
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »
I hate to say it, but if you want a larger cheese you will have to get a larger press.  That press is listed as for 2 gallon makes...typically molds for 2 gallons are not larger than 6 inches in diameter.

Fabiola

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »
Yea, this is what I figure out, so basically the size of the cheese is determined by the press size and not the mould size?

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:56:47 PM »
oh no...it is determined by the mold size, but if your press cannot fit the larger molds, then you are limited there. 

Best you can do is to measure the maximum width height your press can take and then see if you can find a 4 lb. mold that will fit it.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 03:35:21 PM »
Yea, this is what I figure out, so basically the size of the cheese is determined by the press size and not the mould size?

Size is determined by what will fit on the platform of the mold between any structural components.  The plunger  "follower" piece can just rest on the mold follower of a larger mold so that's not an issue.  It's more what can fit between those uprights.

That style of press needs you to continue to screw it down to keep the pressure constant as the cheese drains.  A lever style would be much easier and usually doesn't have uprights that get in the way of larger molds.  There's a forum member I think who has some he makes and sells for a reasonable cost.  This smaller one can still come in handy when you do a 2 cheese make with a large and small wheel in mind.  Good luck!

Fabiola

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
Thank you all for your responses, I am going to make few small cheeses with this press, and upgrade in the future to a larger one if I become good at cheesemaking... ;D